advertisement

£1 per meter speaker cable?

Bigbobby666

pfm Member
Hi.

Setting up a surround set up. Actives at front passives at back. I need a v cheap speaker cable for the surrounds... Thoughts?

Cheers
Bob

The 79 strand white cable with black stripe on one side is more than ok, should be well under a £ 1 per meter on ebay.

The clear 2.5mm stuff with a red stripe on one side is also very good and about £20 for a 50m reel!

Suggest you look at the Cambridge Audio website Symphony 100. It is 1.3sq mm in area, there is a simple chart relating impeadance to length, which gives a first order calculation as to the area of copper needed. Probably applies generally in your application, unless you are using 500 w amps!

IME the B&Q one is best avoided, my brother had some and the cut and stripped ends oxidised like crazy... so we cut them off and stripped again (several times going back about a foot total before making the cable too short stopped us) only to find it had already oxidised under the insulation...

IME the B&Q one is best avoided, my brother had some and the cut and stripped ends oxidised like crazy... so we cut them off and stripped again (several times going back about a foot total before making the cable too short stopped us) only to find it had already oxidised under the insulation...

Once you have soldered the plug on this doesn`t matter.....

Quite a lot of bare copper cable oxidises under the insulation, I am never sure if this is due to poor / damp storage or some reaction with the sheath material

Once you have soldered the plug on this doesn`t matter.....

Quite a lot of bare copper cable oxidises under the insulation, I am never sure if this is due to poor / damp storage or some reaction with the sheath material

Probably not, I know the 24awg Dollar Tree stuff I have does it too! But I've not had this issue with the clear 2.5mm stuff I mentioned earlier which is a lot less than B&Q charge for their 79...so cheap infact it usually just falls off the back of my mate's van :D

Maplins probably. Their on reel stuff is fine at that price or less. If you'd like OFC of a decent width, then they sell Van Damme, but it's about £4 a meter. Not an unfair price for what it does.

advertisement

Back