advertisement

£1,423 for a Garrard 401

I'd say that was great value for a mint 401 with zero bearing wear etc. It would be very hard to beat at anything like the price. As a point of comparison I've spent far more than that merely upgrading and servicing a TD-124!

If I were spending that sort of money I'd be a bit bothered by the seller not knowing if it worked or not.

If I were spending that sort of money I'd be a bit bothered by the seller not knowing if it worked or not.

It's a Garrard, it will work!

I think I'd prefer it in genuinely NOS unused condition so I could flush and replace the lubrication prior to firing it up. 40 year old oil probably isn't going to be in great shape even if unused.

TBH that is a bit of a bargain; I was watching it, and it and it wouldn't have suprised me if it had topped £2K.

But surely as soon as you open the 401 it will just be a few regular 401 and so only be worth about 1/3 the price paid for it. On the other hand you could keep it sealed and you would then have a very expensive paper weight.

Yes it might be in good condition, but no better really than a good restored one which could be purchased for a much better price.

No-one would buy a new car with that mentality, it appears to be as new as you'll get a 401.

As far as I know, there're no new spindles available, and no 3rd parties are hardening them either so they're a stab in the dark with regard to longevity .

I've just bought a '73 version, be interesting to compare to my '65, the quality is supposed to have suffered?

advertisement

Back