advertisement

DIY SMT to DIL adapter (like brown dog)

teddy_pardo

Trade: Teddy Pardo
Here is a step by step tutorial for a DIY SMT to DIL adapter:

1. Insert wires into the socket (resistor legs can be used)

IMG_7016.jpg

2. Solder them (a little flux helps).

IMG_7017.jpg

3. Bend the wires like this first

IMG_7018.jpg

4. Then like this

IMG_7019.jpg

5. Cut them

IMG_7028.jpg

6. That's how it should look

IMG_7029.jpg

7. Now start soldering. In order to get a nice work, apply some flux on the opamp, then put a drop of solder on the iron and quickly apply it to the leg you want to solder.

Solder only two diagonal legs first.

IMG_7033.jpg

8. With a small screwdriver, adjust all other legs so that they fit in their right position.

IMG_7024.jpg

9. Solder all other legs.

IMG_7038.jpg

This is it!

The first one may take a little more time but with little practice it's no more than 5 minutes each. May be not as nice as brown dogs but works nicely.

Enjoy, Teddy

Thanks Teddy.

As an aside, could I just ask if there is any (sonic) difference among the many converters which are available. The Browndog one always gets mentioned here. But why is that? Is it better in some way, or are all these converters similar enough not to bother with a particular make?

Andy

I have no idea, never tried any of them. Just wanted to use SMT OPA627 and didn't want to wait until I order and get Brown Dogs so I thought of this trick. Since it worked nicely I thought I'd share it...

Can't think of a reason for having a difference between them (assuming you do a good quality soldering job).

Teddy

teddy_pardo said:
I have no idea, never tried any of them. Just wanted to use SMT OPA627 and didn't want to wait until I order and get Brown Dogs so I thought of this trick. Since it worked nicely I thought I'd share it...

Can't think of a reason for having a difference between them (assuming you do a good quality soldering job).

Teddy

Nice one teddy.......thanks

Graham

Nice one Teddy!

With fast opamps you might like (or need) to add a small cap, 47nF- 0.1uF, across the opamp supply pins too - or directly from opamp supply pins to 0v on a split-rail design.

Martin - I'm using 1uf wimas from supply pins to grnd on my AD8620s - I have some 0.1ufs knocking around as well - would there be any noticeable difference using the 0.1ufs?

Apologies teddy for the hijack

nice work on the adaptors!

James, no - that's all good.

I just suggested it because the use of sockets can sometimes present enough extra distance from the decoupling caps that some fast opamps (LM6172 and the like) can get become prone to oscillation without a little extra attention. It's not essential by any means, just something to remember if planning an 'upgrade' on something that may already be a bit marginal due to weak layout.

advertisement

Back