advertisement

British "electronic" music

I bought that Boards of Canada CD ("Music has the Right...") on the basis that a lot of my friends, who like the same sort of electronic music that I do, recommended it.

And it didn't do anything for me at all.

I'll stick to Aphex Twin.

Yeah it's a odd one this, I have a mate who loves his electronica and BOC do nothing for him either. My theory lies in our ages, I'm 37 and he's about 8 years younger which means he would have missed those obscure science and nature documentaries with their analogue synth soundtracks from the early late 70's early 80's that came on BBC2 really early on weekend mornings, this was before 24 broadcasting, Roland Rat and Nickelodeon etc, back in the day when the national anthem played before the transmission ended at night and the test card. BOC music taps into a deep seated nostalgia of sitting both fascinated and baffled at these programs on the old Rediffusion :D

rediffusionctv.jpg

I think the last two Black Dog albums, 'Radio Scarecrow' and 'Further Vexations' are very good. Also, 'When machines exceed human intelligence' by Harmonic 313 (AKA Mark Pritchard) is another favourite of mine at the moment, there is a track called Word Problems that features the voice of a Speak & Spell, pure genius!

Can I add my voice to the BoC Meh camp is it. Listened once, didn't feel the need again

For British synth music, what about Rowland the Bastard?

DS

Yeah it's a odd one this, I have a mate who loves his electronica and BOC do nothing for him either. My theory lies in our ages, I'm 37 and he's about 8 years younger which means he would have missed those obscure science and nature documentaries with their analogue synth soundtracks from the early late 70's early 80's

Well I'm 41:rolleyes:

Stuff the offspring, I shall be checking some of these out myself - got a £15 Amazon voucher burning a hole (and I'm 49)!

'The BOC Meh camp' that made me grin- hehe!

wrong tho of course- its a phenomenal album, I suggest it hasn't been listened to adequately enough (a cd you just can't flick thru, or you'll invariably get the noodle/'arty' bits). Syncopation is superb, chest-thumping beats, tunes, analoguey synthy goodness, real spacious soundscape: genuine cool imho (a very rare thing indeed).. its a cracker.

Buy it dont say nowt just play it, he'll really get into it. if he's sensible.

I showed this thread to my friend, who loves the Boards of Canada.

<

Boards Of Canada should not be mentioned in comparison to Air (or other chillout groups). They fall in the camp marked "electronica".

Comparable groups would be; Zero 7, Bent, Kinobe, Blue States, Lemon Jelly, A Man Called Adam.

Recommended albums would be; Simple Things and When It Falls (Zero 7). Soundphiles (Kinobe). Programmed To Love, Ariels, The Everlasting Blink (Bent). Lost Horizons (Lemon Jelly). Duende (A Man Called Adam).

>

I showed this thread to my friend, who loves the Boards of Canada.

<

Boards Of Canada should not be mentioned in comparison to Air (or other chillout groups). They fall in the camp marked "electronica".

Comparable groups would be; Zero 7, Bent, Kinobe, Blue States, Lemon Jelly, A Man Called Adam.

Recommended albums would be; Simple Things and When It Falls (Zero 7). Soundphiles (Kinobe). Programmed To Love, Ariels, The Everlasting Blink (Bent). Lost Horizons (Lemon Jelly). Duende (A Man Called Adam).

>

Can't believe I didn't mention Bent- I'd add their 2 disc best of to that list, especially for the rarer stuff on the second CD.

Bent, Higher Intelligence Agency, Biosphere, Christ, Autechre, Plone, B12, Bonobo, Fujiya Miyagi.....

Autechre ... indeed. They're playing (is that the right word for it?) at the Rescue Rooms next month. It'll be ... interesting :).

Has anyone mentioned Bola yet?

Seriously though if the boy "doesn't do recommendations" I'd let him stew. It's his loss after all.

I thought straight away of Warp/Rephlex/Skam/etc but if he's into Air I think the suggestions of Zero 7 and maybe Hot Chip et al are more on the money.

Uncle Ants - have you seen Autechre also have a new LP out next month? Woo!

The vinyl and CD both come with choice of 16 bit or 24 bit WAV files.

some pretty nice bands: Children of the Bong, The Angels of Light, Dead or Alive and 1 Giant Leap. Highly recommend them :cool:

I'll make a list of all the suggestions and listen to 'em myself! I bought some Neu and Harmonia after seeing them on BBC4 a couple of months ago, so there ought to be something there for me!

advertisement

Back