advertisement

Rage Against The Machine For Christmas Number 1

When I was a lad they used to play killing in the name at the disco and everybody went mad on the dancfloor. I'd rather Chumbawamba and Credit to the Nation's 'Enough is Enough' went to No1, the kidz loved that one too, but I'll settle for RATM so I've bought it.

Well I've downloaded it from Play.com (only 65p!) although notice they have both the album and sanitised versions - do both count towards the chart?

I'm taking this in the spirit of fun (which I think was intended originally) rather than getting all het up under the collar about it. There have always been lowest-common-denominator moguls such as Cowell - Pete Waterman in the '80's, and thinking further back Mickie Most in the '70's. Without musical pantomime villains such as these, Zack and co. would have less to rail against. They're a necessary part of the business.

PS Am I the only one who can remember the NME's "**** You I Won't Wear What You Tell Me" series in the early 90's, consisting of a cut-out 'n' keep Zack De La Rocha, which you could then outfit with a selection of nice frocks.

Anyone buying the track needs to buy the version that costs over 49p for it to count. The live version also counts BTW. 

Much as I love the first RATM album, I'm always reminded of Billie Piper's hit which had the chorus, "Because I want to."

Anyone buying the track needs to buy the version that costs over 49p for it to count. The live version also counts BTW. 

The 29p version from Amazon counts too, check out their website - they contribute the difference

Right, anything to upset that fwit Simon Cowell.

I have sent a copy of RATM to all of my music-loving friends.

That makes it 5 extra copies.

There were codes for free downloads from Nokia Music doing the rounds.
I'm going to use one for RATM.
Also, iTunes are going to be offering a free download a day from the 26th.

Know what? That was the first time I've paid for and downloaded a track.
I've joined the 21st century at last!

Did anyone else hear them on 5 live yesterday morning. They did a live version of killing in the name. Before they started I told my girlfriend that it would end in tears and lo the swearing did start before they were pulled from the air. Very funny and utterly predictable. Weird hearing Nicky Campbell introduce them - like going back in time. But my main point is how funny it is to see cowell moan today that he thinks the BBC are
mounting an unfair pro RATM campaign. Is that not what ITV does for cowell with the x factor? Cowell can beat it and let us decide what music is bought in this download age.

I like the song! Admittedly it is a real throw back to my teenage years when rebellion (in a nice middleclass way was thr order of the day) but listening to the album again now and quite enjoying it.

advertisement

Back