advertisement

AR Sound

I've got a stinker of a cold and my hearing is completely buggered. I'm going to have to wait for my head to empty, but I'm hearing the same things as Peter. This isn't the time though.

Rasher,
Same thing happened to me only i had an ear infection and the system sounded shit untill i got ear drops from my gp and within a few weeks.....hey presto ! back to normal.
So the advice is dont rush things -frustrating i know but its the only way.
Scotty

First impressions, after I left a CD on repeat for a couple of hours, were of a compressed sound with less volume at any given setting on the dial. Instrument separation was also diminished and the acoustic setting was not easy to distinguish.

I left the player running overnight and noticed yesterday - 24 hours in - that bass has tightened up a fair bit and instruments are starting to find their place in the mix. Some tracks are beginning to sound encouraging but others sound like they're wearing a corset.

Dave

This is what im stressing.....the first thing i noticed was that the volume dial was going way past where i previously listened at which is the complete opposite to whats happening with you. GIVE IT TIME !

I will, don't worry. I'm fully expecting it to improve as the early signs are encouraging.

Can I just clarify your point about the volume dial, please. I had recently added a Sonority Ultra platform underneath my 52 and found that I no longer needed to listen at 8.30-9.00 o'clock on the dial, but 7.30-8.00. With the Greenlink installed, it's gone back up to 9.00 to get a reasonable sound level. Is that what you experienced?

Dave

Dave,
I cant speak for the platform your using as i have no knowledge of it.
My system is on fraim and since getting the 282/250.2 /hi-line i was playing at around 8 -8:30 on the dial - now since i got the ARs im playing at around the 9:30 to 10 position AND its much more pleasent to listen to at those volumes.
Hope this helps. Scotty

Dave,
I cant speak for the platform your using as i have no knowledge of it.
My system is on fraim and since getting the 282/250.2 /hi-line i was playing at around 8 -8:30 on the dial - now since i got the ARs im playing at around the 9:30 to 10 position AND its much more pleasent to listen to at those volumes.
Hope this helps. Scotty

Thanks Scotty.

Yes, that does help, I'm reassured it's not just me. As Mr Perceptive says this does suggest the signal is being attenuated.

I'll have to post something soon about the Sonority platform, which I use with my Fraim. In fact it's designed to integrate with Fraim and you'd be amazed at what it can do for your pre-amp. If you've enjoyed what a change in cable can do, you'll absolutely love what Sonority can achieve - although at a little more cost.

Dave

Regarding the Green 2 DIN-DIN there is no attenuation in my case - nearly the same level as with the lavender...

I've found volume levels about the same with my Yellow1 too. I had turned it down slightly because the added brightness was tearing my brain out.
Still getting better though.

This suggests that the cable is attenuating the signal

It is not.

The subjective perceived volume level difference is only psychoacoustic phenomena.
IMOH when some equipment make one to listen music at lower volumes levels (SPL i.e. objective and not subjective volume level) then other equipment this suggests (in most cases) it is harsh sounding or at least not refined at higher levels.

Regards,

Avi

Thanks for the clarification

I don't want to start a war but can you also explain how users if this cable seem to notice it changing over time, or is that "psychoacoustic phenomena" as well?

Mr Perceptive,

I'm Sorry but I don't think it is the right place for me to answer questions. I made an exception last post only in order to clarify technical issue regarding the attenuation explanation you suggested. please understand this as I'm sure these are forum rules.
I think the place to clarify those question is under the website.
BTW there is no news at the fact that cables change their sound character with time, while IMO psychoacoustics can explain only a small part of this phenomena.

Thanks and Kind regards,

Avi

Of course it'll be relative to the previous i/c's in use. I was using Linn Silver, prior to that one of the early Chord jobs - never noticed any difference between these though.

Due to bank holidays and the kids off school for half-term, people staying, work load etc, my cable hasn't yet had a good work-out over a late evening. Of course, the evenings are lighter too.
My point is that I haven't heard the Yellow yet with the room cosied up with the curtains drawn etc, and I'm betting that I'm hearing reflections off the expanse of window, which isn't the normal situation for me.
Anyway..like I say, we're not there yet. I'm looking at getting the lads round next week for the serious business of evaluation, and then we'll know. I expect my opinion will be different to theirs, but no matter.

I have had the Yellow 1 in place for 3 weeks now and it takes some time to get used to the clarity and detail which was missing when using the stock Naim cables. The Ar Cables are like having cotton wool removed from your ears. Put the naim cable back in my system and music became woolly and plods. As for volume levels the only problem I have is not turning the amp up too loud because the music sounds a darn site better!!!! I also have a Green 4 and a Greenlink 5 to totally remove standard Naim cables from the signal chain. Sound is now crystal clear and bass definition speed and attack are amazing.

I also swapped my Hiline for a powerline the 3rd in my system. I plugged it into my Nap200 and it was a real disappointment first off. I put the standard cord back in which the music sound a bit thin, so I moved the powerline down a slot in my wireworld strip so there was a blank socket between it and the next plug. Hey presto the magic returned. Naim systems can be strange

Anyway I have had such a mass of changes in a short time with new cables all of them worthwhile, but the AR yellow1 really is a work of sonic art, I will sit back and enjoy my music and system all over again.

The Green 2 is in my system for 3 weeks and now I am enjoying the all new sound so much.
Another advice is to remove all tuning elements like boards, spikes, etc. from your CDP with the AR cable as a starting point.
I finally noticed that the Phonosophie ControlBoard under my CD5X, that improved the sound with the lavender, degraded the sound with the Green 2.
It seems that the AR cable makes your CDP even more sensitive to it´s ground. I prefer a wooden base now and it is just sounding smooth and detailed, not noticing an "extra brightness". But first: the cable (and maybe your ears too) needs time...

Peter

just noticed that AR Sound released the new SkyLink cable...

Peter your right the new Skylink has been released.

My Yellow 1 is amazing and IMHO trounces the hiline so heaven knows how good this new cable will be and at 2/3rds less cost than a hiline its another no brainer.

Peter your right the new Skylink has been released.

My Yellow 1 is amazing and IMHO trounces the hiline so heaven knows how good this new cable will be and at 2/3rds less cost than a hiline its another no brainer.

Much as I am a big fan of my Green 2, it beat the Lavender by a massive margin, let's not get too carried away yet. I'm not sure the Skyline is a no brainer, no one has heard one yet. I'm sure a few people will go for these and I will be very interested to hear what they have to say.

advertisement

Back