advertisement

What are you reading right now?

"Creation" by Gore Vidal. If you like novels about ancient history, this one is a cracker. Either Vidal has an encyclopedic knowledge of the ancient world or he has one incredible imagination! My guess is the former.

69, Coin Locker Babies and all that?

Absorbed
Thw Wind-up Bird Chronicle
Kafka on the Shore
Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
Dance Dance Dance
Norwegian Wood
Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Sputnik Sweetheart
A Wild Sheep Chase

Reading
South of the border, West of the sun

In Tray
After The Quake
After Dark
What I talk about when I talk about running

Yet to "score"
The Elephant Vanishes

Ah, my mistake. When you said the other Murukami, I thought you meant Ryu Murukami.

My Murukami in tray is:

Kafka on the shore
After Dark
Blind Willow

I'm still to score
After the quake
Running

There's also this which is pretty worthwhile.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Lawrence Durrell: just finished "The Dark Labyrinth", just started "The Alexandria Quartet". Solid, proper novels, with humour and much originality and depth. I'm seriously impressed.

Bob Dylan chronicles

Very interesting book. I wonder if much of it is 'made up' - I suspect no one can remember that much details after a million years.

Carl

I will endeavor to be Murakami specific in future.

I'm not keen on books about books as a rule. I even didn't buy the one about Dick.

The Kreutzer Sonata by Leo Tolstoy.

It took me a while to get into it, but a character in the story reminds me of a violent ex-girlfriend.

I can't wait to see what happens to her. I hope it is messy.

Jack

Bob Dylan chronicles

Very interesting book. I wonder if much of it is 'made up' - I suspect no one can remember that much details after a million years.

Carl

I read Chronicles a while ago and thought it was pretty cool.

There was one chapter though which was complete gibberish, like pages of his lyrics gone wrong.

Jack

I read Chronicles a while ago and thought it was pretty cool.

There was one chapter though which was complete gibberish, like pages of his lyrics gone wrong.

Jack
I'm through a few more chapters and it's such a lovely book I'll forgive him for the glitches. Any one interested in Dylan will much enjoy the book.

Carl

Taleb, The Black Swan

Not uninteresting, but it would have profited from a far more brutal editor. The reasoning
tends to go in circle for a while. Maybe he was paid by the word.

das Kapital: A biography by Francis Wheen before I try to tackle the big one.
Also reading The Parrot's Theorem by Denis Guedj. It's about maths and parrots.

Iain M Banks, Excession. A.I's, spaceships & rather dark humor.

Next up, Blow (as in the film with Johnny Depp), Cocaine, guns, cocaine, money,etc, etc

Both puchased from Havens Hospice shop for 2 quid, and will get returned when read.

it was the best of times,it was the worst of times....

re-reading `The tale of two cities`....rather good, :cool:

Property, by Valerie Smith, about a woman in an unhappy marriage at the end of the slave era in the States. It covers a lot of Sargasso Sea type ground (Jean Rhys) and so by implication Jane Eyre, though I've yet to read that.

Knocked off a couple of Inspector Rebus jobs from the charity shop but they are just waiting-roon fodder really.

I'm enjoying an account of a journalist who drove a 1980 Morris Ital across the USSR in about 1982, "Across Russia". It's fascinating, especially as I was lucky enough to spend a bit of time as a student teaching English in Poland in '85, so I know what that part of the world was like back then. Those of us who have never lived in a dictatorship can't easily imagine what it must have been like.

Darwin, On the Origin of Species. Great but rather hard going because of the language (not vocab but construction).

Iain M Banks, Excession. A.I's, spaceships & rather dark humor.

I'm rather partial to Mr Banks (both with and without the M) although some of his culture SF can meander a bit.

Simon

advertisement

Back