advertisement

Bo Diddley RIP

I expect now he is dead we will get a programme about him and what a seminal influence he was /is - and the standard talking heads will pontificate on how music was forever changed ...........
For me he was the big black guy with red cigar box guitar who together with Chuck Berry and Howlin Wolf made a strange and wonderful sound that was different to anything else this white boy could hear in mid-Wales in the 60s.

Guy

Chaps

Why do we over do the praise when some one dies. Bo Diddly was just another musician.

When I snuff it, will PFM collapse under the weight of glowing tributes, will Les W admit I was really right about bodging all along, will the ever negative Bob McCuckie heap praise upon me saying the world was a better place when I left it thanks to my wonderful contribution to mankind. Will Tony show repentance for banning me 3 times and bare his ass in Rochdale town centre in shame.

Count.d on the Naim forum once made the point that when someone goes to the pearly gates, seven or eight forum members heap praise upon a perfectly normal person .... he was right.

Regards

Mick

I've never owned one of his records, and never saw him, so I won't be particularly mourning him.
But he's one of the ones that you can trace modern rock music back to.
And as such. he made more of a mark on the world than anybody on PFM (even Mick!).

He was the only old geezer I ever saw at the many Cambridge Folk Festivals I was dragged to as a youth by my parents that I thought was brill. Loads more fun than either Tom Robinson or Chas N' Dave. RIP.

Chaps

Why do we over do the praise when some one dies.

Regards

Mick

That was my point about the media reaction. But as far as I am concerned (and no doubt some of the others that have responded) he was part of my growing up and just as I mourn the passing of my school mates (we are of that age) so I can mourn the person that made the music that was the background to my youth. That is not saying that they were the best person or musician in the world but merely recognizing the fact that they were important to me and now they are gone.

Guy

Quicksilver Messenger Service: Happy Trails. without Bo, no great record

Kevin

I don't mind marking the passing of one of the founding fathers of Rock'n' Roll, he was a guitar genius of the first order (anyone can play well...only a few can invent a whole style themselves!)...Bo we tip a collective hat in your direction and in the unlikely event that Heaven exists hope you are first in the queue for a 'shave and a haircut, two bits'

Paul

advertisement

Back