advertisement

Derek Bailey

I'm currently a quarter into Dawkin's The God Delusion...

If you made it through that far you might as well stop and get another book. Its dreadfully written (unless you like being shouted at repeatedly) and he repeats himself. Also, (and more importantly) you and he will be in agreement by now so why waste time? Its not a particularly challenging book and whenever it is hoisted up on this forum is it usually by people preaching to the converted.

So save some time and move on. Life's too short. Even past his best, Vonnegut's far more worthwhile.

Yeah. My favorite so far; I love how surreal and totally emphatic it is. And that great smelly, warm recording like it was restored from mangled tape.

Bonus points for the performance being drowned out halfway through by rain thundering down on the roof!

I saw Bailey perform in 1974 at the LSE one afternoon. I was off my head on drugs and thought he was a weirdo who couldn't get his guitar in tune.

I've got some of his albums at home now and his book on improvisation.

My problem is I can't get my guitar in tune. Heh-heh-heh.

Jack

Yeah. My favorite so far; I love how surreal and totally emphatic it is. And that great smelly, warm recording like it was restored from mangled tape.

Bonus points for the performance being drowned out halfway through by rain thundering down on the roof!

It's wonderful, isn't it? Only Derek would think to make a record with a dancer, and make it work. The rain is the icing on the cake.

-- Ian

advertisement

Back