advertisement

Recommend me some Raw Classic Country

'Days in the Wake' & 'Lost blues and other songs' would be a fine starting point for Oldham/Palace Brothers. 'Plays Greatest Palace Music' might be offputting initially.

although not old dwight yoakam imho is good ol honky tonk/boogie only the first 3 lps after that went a bit crap

Try:

Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen - If you can listen to - Mama Hated Diesels - without a tear you need to check you still have a pulse.

Also - Hasil Adkins - Out To Hunch. Subject of the best and funniest review ever from Corey Greenberg in Stereophile

You wouldn't want him dating your sister - Hasil Adkins that is !

Seriously tho Strummer, I&II on one cd- so f**king great its in my all time top 10: it riffs like Pistols but funnier, & actually not quite as dumb as it sounds on 1st glance.. but basically its no bollocks white trash country/metal. Oh and a drum machine and an angle-grinder solo. Its musical heaven, to me anyway :D.

853779832_m.jpg

Thanks Captain. Moistboyz 1&11 already on the way. Not sure about the other 2. the Howlin Willy has a certain Frank Zappa about it (which I like), but I can’t help thinking it’s a bit novelty rather than something I’ll listen to long term. Besides, I’m already in trouble since my 9 year-old lad switched the word Banana to Vagina in some song he learned at school (he even changed the actions:eek: ).

You want some 50s Sun label stuff and some 60s Columbia studio stuff to contrast with the live albums. A couple of good comps would probably sort it.

Tony.

Thanks Tony

Sun Best Of ordered.

You've already got Hank Williams, and he's the best.

Cash's Sun recordings, and Elvis's too, would be a good bet.
 Ian

Thanks Ian

Yes, looking forward to Hank & the Cash Sun stuff, but Elvis? Now I’ve always dismissed Elvis as Pop. Sort of the Robbie Williams of his day. Am I doing the guy a disservice? Did he do any Country stuff?

Thanks everyone else. Keep em comin’

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Boo, no sound samples. I'm really struggling to take the leap with Elvis. He's been a joke for as long as I can remember. Seeing Elvis films as a kid & then the big fat Las Vegas Elvis. Can I do it? :confused::p

I took the leap and did it with that GOD called Cash, I am sure you can do it with Elvis, Listen to him man he`s got a great voice and fantastic rythm. I told you when we were at Vinnies not to dis the guy LOL

kasper.

any good merle haggard IYO?

i have a johnny cash album on which he sings along on one track and surprisingly steals the show.

vuk.

I like old Merle quite a lot. Two early ones and a later one work for me:

Mama Tried
Swinging Doors and the Bottle Let Me Down
Back to the Barrooms

Believe I'll put one of those on right now.

A second vote for Merle Haggard - I have a few 60's and 70's albums and they're all up there. Kaspers 'Mama tried' is brilliant - I would also recommend the mid 70's 'My Love Affair With Trains', 'The roots of my raisin' and 'A working man can't get nowhere today'.

No Garth Crooks / Dixie Chicks / Achy Breaky Heart bollocks!

Dolly Parton has made some excellent C & W music over the years, IMO often far from your examples above but quite a bit of heart brake for sure.

Carl

Dolly Parton has made some excellent C & W music over the years, IMO often far from your examples above but quite a bit of heart brake for sure.

Carl

Agreed. I wouldn't class Dolly with those lot. I might look for a good compilation with some of her stuff, along with the likes of Tammy Wynette & Kenny Rogers. That way I might find more good stuff.

Another vote for Merle Haggard, I also have "My love affair with trains" which is an excellant album

'Van Lear Rose' The recent Loretta Lynn LP with Jack White is very good, if a little abrasive, stylistically.

Would agree with many of the recs already made.

Charlie Rich's Sun Sessions is also excellent. Now out of print, this is available as a torrent from various places. Country with some jazz, blues and R & B stylings. 'Closed for Repair' is one of my favourite country tunes.

From the very early days of this kind of music, you may also like to check out Mississippi John Hurt. Considered a country blues player by those that like to put labels on music, he has a mellifluous style that was obviously an influence on later country artists. An amazing guitar player, he melded country blues, ragtime and elements of popular song of the time (late 20's) and had a beautful voice. I have this and it's great.

Also, a little off the country path, but utterly wonderful is western swing, of which the greatest practitioner was Bob Wills. Western Swing is often considered to be one of the natural pre-cursors to white Rock n' Roll, melding pop, country and blues with Jazz & bluegrass virtuosity. More barndance than Lonesome Me, this style was popular from '35 - '48 or so. I'd reccommend the Bob Wills Tiffany transcriptions, as these radio workouts stretch out beyond the confines of a 78 side. AFAIK, there are 9 volumes of these and they're all great, but out of print, so I'd reccommend whichever you can get cheapest from your retailer of choice (just search for "Tiffany Transcriptions"). IMHO, vol 6 'Sally Goodin' is the best.

edit: Bob Wills on You Tube here

Simon

Agreed. I wouldn't class Dolly with those lot. I might look for a good compilation with some of her stuff, along with the likes of Tammy Wynette & Kenny Rogers. That way I might find more good stuff.

If female singers are okay for you doing the more "authetic" sounding stuff rather than the more saccharine mainstream nashville stuff, try Emmylou Harris' 70s and early 80s stuff. Roses in the Snow is her most old timey album and ought to hit the button (an all star cast as well incl, Cash and Parton on backing in places and Ricky Skaggs on fiddle)

Bit earlier and a bit more mainstream, but very intelligently done is Bobby Gentry - try her Ode to Bill Joe album.

Steve Earle is sometimes a bit rock, but is often very country and I doubt he's made a cheesy record in his career. The Mountain is an album he made with The Del McCoury band and probably the most trad thing he's done.

Hank Williams has been mentioned and is the best there is.

Loretta Lynn, The Louvin Brothers, Erbest Tubb, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Buck Owens ... all worth a listen.
and whoever recommended Hasil Adkins - good call - crazy mad stuff.

Thanks chaps. Keep em coming.

CDs turned up today :

Essential Hank Williams
Johnny Cash Sun Recordings
Moistboyz 1&11 (not sure this is Country, but give it a go)

Also downloaded the Elvis.

Captain, have you looked into the Stooges? (as in Iggy & the Stooges). From what I've seen & heard of the Moistboyz, they model themself on them, which is no bad thing.

This is how I started on this & other hunts for the old stuff. When I was 13 I thought Led Zeppelin were the be all & end all. Many years later I discover that half their stuff came from Willie Dixon & Robert Johnson. 10 further years & I actually prefer the originals in many cases.

If you took Hank Williams & Robert Johnson had a lovechild, it would be the Rolling Stones.

Thanks chaps. Keep em coming.

Moistboyz 1&11 (not sure this is Country, but give it a go)

Also downloaded the Elvis.

Captain, have you looked into the Stooges? (as in Iggy & the Stooges). From what I've seen & heard of the Moistboyz, they model themself on them, which is no bad thing.

Hi Strummer- yes its (in my books) loosely country for sure! the results obviously alot more twds Pistols or even Sabbath than 'Dwane Tyler'! (whoever he may be) but saying that its roots are more genuinely white (trash) country than many 'proper' country bands Imo. Of course he likes Iggy's style no question; I think his vocal delivery is so succinct & powerful & as a result actually quite original.. add the massive sarcasm & Deen Ween's riffs- blinding Imo. 'I' was an ep with zero budget (sort of a bonus on the cd): II is defo where its at tho. They were snapped up by Mike D of Beastie Boys on his Grand Royal label for these.. 3 & 4 are too straight rock Imo having lost the smalltime sound & Claude Coleman as drummer (Ween, & he's black in case you're worried they actually ARE racist!).

advertisement

Back