advertisement

Any DIY diagnosis I can do on a CD-63

Eoin

pfm Member
Got a CD-63 KI. Been stored for a while.

It you feed it a CD, it returns ‘DISC’ on the display.

Would be fun to see if there’s a way to diagnose the issue, and fix.

I only have a multimeter, no scope.

possible? Or a waste of time.

I can hear the motor spinning up, but I’ve not taken the lid off as yet.

Yes, there is! The old CD-63 has a service mode...:

CD63_service.gif

Well, accessed the service mode, spindle is good. Sled is good. Focus is good. No errors. Exited service mode and all is well, discs playing.
We will call that a win.

I’ll clean the rail and re-grease. Any spec for grease? I’m sure it’s the ‘white’ type whatever that’s actually called..

Last edited:
Well done! @Eoin

Just clean the gears and sled track & drive worm with alcohol; and no grease is better than to much/too thick. the merest, lightest smear of silicone grease if you have some, but don't bother buying some especially.

I had to find some silicone grease for a new ignition coil/wire/cap I had to install on me motorbike, not one of the local `motoring` stores had it.

I did find it at a local Plumbers Merchant as its good for plastic pipe fittings!

There's HUGE mod thread for the CD63 at diyaudio...match the 27k and 10k resistors at the first opamp after the DAC chip exactly and you won't believe your ears... :D

Did some of those, too, but the matching above was a stunner. Of course I also cleaned up the supplies. Never did the coax thing, looked a bit silly as you said :)

@Eoin

TBH - just leave it alone, and enjoy it as it is. The onboard dac, the NPC SM5872 is long in the tooth, for 'bitstream'.

Meanwhile - this series of players also make fine transports, with a nice galvanically-isolated SPDIF output that will play very well with a recent dac or dacs, that will deliver more & better (for whatever your taste, is there) - for little cost or stress.

ATB

Just seen this thread. If you're having trouble finding silicone grease you may find that the marine chandlers or yachting hardware shops carry it. The average hardware store will try and sell you silicone adhesive, which for obvious reasons will disappoint :eek:

I use the stuff a lot, for example using very little to apply to windscreen wipers that are tired and shudder. It actually nourishes plastics and rubber. Also quite water proof, just wait till you try wash it off your fingers.

advertisement

Back