advertisement

Sennheiser HD 800

Another HD800 user not changing. Didn't do the ring mod. Just changed the cable to cardas and it sorted the treble.

I use the musical fidelity M1 HPAP headphone amp. Lovely unit.

You’re going to hear a lot more through 800s next to 600/650s. You’ll certainly hear even more still through Utopias. In the end I didn’t like the weight and relative lack of comfort of the Focals and I have personal issues with the sonic signature of Beryllium.

You’re going to hear a lot more through 800s next to 600/650s.

Indeed, I've been there :cool:. After a dalliance with speakers I'm back with cans and have 650's sounding pretty good at the moment. Not sure I could justify spending the extra 1K plus on 800S's (SWMBO wouldn't be at all impressed :().

Have do disagree with a few of the posts above . I have a Mojo which i love (best bang per buck Dac for your money ) and purchased Hd800s not long after it. I was very very disappointed with the pairing after all the great reviews on the Hd800s. I read many posts on headfi and was advised to buy a separate headphone amp . I acquired an IFI pro ican headphone amp(fantastic amp - can be run solid state or valve, valve is just awesome) , running the Mojo as DAC only mode , audioquest cables and Puremusic software , the results were just staggering. Honestly 10 times better than Mojo alone ( i appreciate the extra cost but it really is worth it , if you want the very best out of what the Senns can achieve )
Listening to this combo tonight i can completely loose myself in the music , warmth , analogue , dynamic and massive soundstage - best headphones i have ever listened to . The HD800s arnt particularly bass heavy but they have a nice punch. Im not saying that the Mojo cant run the Senns , but you wont be able to hear what they can truly do without a better headphone amp

I have good days and bad ones with the HD800s headphones. I have tried them on various headphone amplifiers. The Naim dac V1 drives them nicely, but woe betide not warming the set up up first. This can lead to terrible fizziness on massed orchestral violins , and peakyness in the upper midrange. My hifiman he400se headphones always sound refined and engaging. At £150 or less I never regret purchasing them. The Sennheisers are so fickle with me sometimes.

Cheers Ian.

You’re going to hear a lot more through 800s next to 600/650s. You’ll certainly hear even more still through Utopias. In the end I didn’t like the weight and relative lack of comfort of the Focals and I have personal issues with the sonic signature of Beryllium.

Dec, despite the fact that my Elears are heavier, both my 650s and those are comfortable. The Elears have more transparency and dynamics but the 650s are addictive in their darker way. Still not sure if I should've gone to 800s (or 800S) but fancied Focal, and am not disappointed.

Very tempted to go to Utopias (the older ones) but I seriously wonder if this is a good idea with my diminished hearing. Going to East Anglian show soon, where they have a can display; it was Focal a few years ago, so maybe it still is.

Dec, despite the fact that my Elears are heavier, both my 650s and those are comfortable. The Elears have more transparency and dynamics but the 650s are addictive in their darker way. Still not sure if I should've gone to 800s (or 800S) but fancied Focal, and am not disappointed.

Very tempted to go to Utopias (the older ones) but I seriously wonder if this is a good idea with my diminished hearing. Going to East Anglian show soon, where they have a can display; it was Focal a few years ago, so maybe it still is.
Mike, au contraire, I approach the declining hearing issue with components offering ever better resolution. The Utopias’ Be drivers reveal more than Ive heard with any other headphones.
I bought a pair of basic Martin Logans to use with the telly for films, streamed orchestral concerts and they’re so beautifully resolved on speech.

The Utopias’ Be drivers

Are these the latest or the previous ones, Dec? Often wondered if the uplift from Elears to Utopias warrants the cost hike.

I bought a pair of basic Martin Logans to use with the telly for films, streamed orchestral concerts and they’re so beautifully resolved on speech.

When one is repaired, I'll have my Quad 2905s back into service (PMC Twenty.26 as a stop-gap (polar opposites !!!!!), but I listen to any drama/doc on my cans via I/C from telly to can amp.

My newly arrived NJC headphone amp is driving my 800s very nicely. Still running the 800s in so i think more too come from them but i must say with the new amp i have noted a jump up from my Naim amp output.

Are these the latest or the previous ones, Dec? Often wondered if the uplift from Elears to Utopias warrants the cost hike.

When one is repaired, I'll have my Quad 2905s back into service (PMC Twenty.26 as a stop-gap (polar opposites !!!!!), but I listen to any drama/doc on my cans via I/C from telly to can amp.
Mk1 Utopias. They’re quite unlike any other headphone I’ve tried in terms of resolving power.

That seems to go against the impressions I have seen which seem to say that the HD600 / 650 / 660 are just as revealing as the TOTR HD’?
I’ve only owned HD 58* and Momentum 2 and disliked the Momentum’, I enjoyed the HD58* but I think the Gishelli headphones amp I used struggled with gain so I eventually moved them on but I’m really enjoying my time with the HD660s and a Violectric headphone amplifier but can’t help think about the HD800 / HD820 and what they’d bring to the party?. I’m loving the detail available and wouldn’t say no to a more revealing design going forward:)

Nice to see an active HD800 thread. I've had mine for years now, perhaps 7-8 years ? Mine are a late S/N original HD800 which I power via an HDVA600 Sennheiser head amp. I was a serial headphone and headphone amp tester/purchaser before, now no more. Pure bliss, I hope they'll last a long time.

I keep going back to the HD800, tried many others but really like these cans best, just need a little care matching amp and source. I have a pair of HD650 with custom cans mass loading mod too which I hardly use .

I keep going back to the HD800, tried many others but really like these cans best,

It's the mid/upper level emphasis which attracts me to these, though I've never tried them. I do have 650 (which desperately need new pads; that should up the ante a bit) but got Focal Elears, which are better for s.q./transparency/bass but there's sth homely and comforting about my 650s, which I use for TV sound (through my can amp). Have tried Focals and what's your can amp?

I've had a pair of HD800 for several years, run through first Marantz HD-Dac & latterly Pathos Arium. Wonderful 'phones and so comfortable for extended listening. I've now got some Focal Utopias, which are remarkable, but then they should be for the price! Still not as comfortable as the HD800's though ;)

It's the mid/upper level emphasis which attracts me to these, though I've never tried them. I do have 650 (which desperately need new pads; that should up the ante a bit) but got Focal Elears, which are better for s.q./transparency/bass but there's sth homely and comforting about my 650s, which I use for TV sound (through my can amp). Have tried Focals and what's your can amp?

I've only tried the Focal Utopia which I liked but couldn't warrant paying the higher price over my old HD800 , I did try the HD800S but much preferred the older non S . Serial number on my 800's is 070. The modded HD650 are a good can but nothing like the HD800 to my ears , I'd say definitely try a pair before committing.
I use a GSP ultra linear Headphone amp with custom PSU , I also use a few different diy amps depending on mood . I really like these cans if you match the components further down the chain well

advertisement

Back