advertisement

"Taurine," does this supplement extend human life, slowing ageing...

Darmok

pfm Member
3500.jpg

Ageing...

Common energy drink ingredient taurine ‘may slow ageing process’

Scientists call for major clinical trial after lifespans of mice extended by boosting levels of micronutrient

https://www.theguardian.com/science...nk-ingredient-taurine-may-slow-ageing-process

I often ponder why the youths passing my house don't use some of the relentless energy provided to put the bastard cans in a bin....

Still I suppose I could live forever by benefiting from the movement of mindfully picking them up....if the rage doesn't cause an anurism (spelling?)

S

Aging is an extremely complex phenomenon at the cellular level. This is certainly a case where there can be no "magic bullet" cure.

I haven't read the original article yet, but I take it for granted that the effect that they saw of taurine was measurable and reproducible. However, taurine is just one tiny component of a complex, feedback-heavy process. So any effect they saw comes with a strong burden of context that needs to be evaluated, but for which we lack strong predictive models.

So my takeaway is that, if taurine supplementation can play a role in promoting healthy aging, it would likely only be as a part of a combination therapy that synergistically targets all of the hallmarks of aging.

Short answer: probably not.

long answer
I just learned something, I thought it was a non essential amino acid, it's actually a sulfonic acid. I had to look at the schematic diagram to understand the difference. It's an essential part of a cat's diet, though not a human's, but found naturally in meat. Cats are strict carnivores remember, humans not. It's part of human metabolism and I was more than surprised to read that it makes up about 0.1% of human mass. On that basis it's hardly a micronutrient. You and I manufacture it. I have 70g of the stuff in me now! So have a guess how much effect is felt from the amount in a can of pop.

I suspect the other ingredients in energy drinks accelerate death by more than enough to compensate.
And of course the early death from being beaten to a pulp by an elderly and irate homeowner for dropping the can!

Argh...frustratingly, the original article is paywalled, so I cannot assess it directly.

However, age-related changes in taurine have been reported at least as early as 1989. A report from 1999 already suggested that dietary supplementation of taurine can counteract other effects of aging.

Without being able to read the original article, I cannot assess what new info it brings to the table (let alone why it is so monumental as to merit publication in Science). Based on the abstract alone, it looks like they did a lot of mechanistic follow-ups (eg taurine reduces cellular senescence), but for each claim I can find more than one other article already demonstrating it.

*shrug*

Also, I take umbrage with the authors' claim that taurine deficiency is a "driver" of aging based on the observation that supplementation reverses some of the effects. Surely, whatever leads to the age-related decline in taurine is the driver here, and also surely that process is more complex than taurine synthesis and metabolism alone.

? Who knows the answer to this.
Truth is, on balance, I'd say try it. Whatever happens will be personal to you and only you can value it.
Don't try, and never know.

Take it if you want, but I think you're wasting your money. Your body has 70g in it already that your assumed 70kg body has made for itself. You're now going to add 0.5g to that. That's less than 1% added to the existing amount. Woo. Nearly 1% extra. That's going to make all the difference.

Take it if you want, but I think you're wasting your money. Your body has 70g in it already that your assumed 70kg body has made for itself. You're now going to add 0.5g to that. That's less than 1% added to the existing amount. Woo. Nearly 1% extra. That's going to make all the difference.

We would have to know what the rate of decline of endogenous taurine with age is. The evidence appears to be well established over many years of research that it decreases with age, so a single estimate of fraction of body mass may not be relevant especially for the demographic of PFM.

Edit: I still wouldn't strongly recommend taking supplements as no large scale human study has been performed.

advertisement

Back