advertisement

Deck + cart + riaa amp modesty

Jim Audiomisc

pfm Member
On Usenet I've been having a chat about audio. One person has commented when he asked in a 'shop' he was told a basic deck + cart + preamp would cost 2000 UKP. Which to him (and I suspect most non-HiFi enthusiasts) seems a hellava lot.

So the question is: What, rather more modest priced, system could be suggested as a way to get to enjoy LPs?

For used stuff I think half of that could bag a very decent system. And half again (a monkey, guv) would get you more than half of the way to that, if that makes sense.

If it has to be new gear then I don't really know as I haven't bought any this century.

If new then how about the Rega System One at £999?

Or if just a deck/cart/phono stage needed then Planar 1 Plus? (The new 'eco' version of that being only £229!).

It depends what the dealer stocks. Rega 3 would be where I would start but a 2nd hand LP12 for circa £1200-1500 or Technics variant. It’s all relatively expensive thee days.

I recently bought a late P3/Exact for under £400. Nothing High End about it but it sounds decent.

I am sure it gets better as you go up but how involved do you want to get? Vinyl is expensive.

The new range of Dual decks are also superb. Deck + Cart (Ortofon 2M Red) from £500-ish. I'd take one over the equivalent Rega ATM. Add in a phono stage for a couple of hundred and you've got a vinyl front end that's an absolute blast.

I got a respectable deck, cartridge and phono stage for £515. Not high end, but lightly used and enjoyable to listen to.

£999 rega system , £899 or £1099 Project debut evo with Streaming/Wireless
Made in the UK/EU Budget quality hifi never been better value

blob

Speaker-Box-5-S2-with-Debut-Carbon-EVO-and-MaiA-S3.jpg

The Revolver Pioneer 400 and KEF speakers for c£400 in the classifieds would be just fantastic.

Where does the money start for a real front room system rather than a student bedroom though? I think the speakers on some decent stands will likely add a grand themselves these days, so £2k probably isn't that extreme...

My advice would obviously be to buy high quality classic kit used as it is effectively free if you do it right, i.e. a retrievable investment. That said as a modern alternative how about a Technics SL1500 turntable for £1k, which seems to come with a 2M Red and has a built-in phono stage, a pair of active Genlecs or equivalent and a pot in a box as a volume control.

That said I’d still go second hand. I bet I could get a seriously good vinyl system together for a little over a grand, well under with luck. That’s for stuff that is recent enough not to need servicing and simple enough not to alienate a newbie. Example; Planar 3, clam-shell Rega Brio, Spendor S3/5R or equivalent small Kefs, B&Ws, Missions etc. That should be doable for £1k, plus a bit more for a new cart and some speaker stands. That’s not a starter system IMO, it’s just a good system. Enjoyable for years.

advertisement

Back