advertisement

Herbie Hancock and his AC Cobra of 60 years

TCar

pfm Member
I love jazz. And cars. I am sure others here do too. But this article about his one owner Cobra is next level. Smoking Miles Davis in a Maserati. Discussing cars with Donald Byrd (who did that Blue Note cover with his E-Type). I never knew any of this. There is a link to other cool content about music and cars in the link at the top. Sure musicians and cars are nothing new. But 60s jazz players?

https://www.hagerty.com/media/peopl...31a44bf3548c18c1e890f271c3e2a528db1c093a5b650

But 60s jazz players?

Here's Alice Coltrane with the family E-Type in the background.

uIphb9Y.jpg

Thanks for posting the link!

Amazing article, and he bought my favourite cobra too.. the original 289.

What an absolute legend!!

Miles Davis nearly killed himself in his green Lamborghini Mura back in the ‘70s. Crashed it and broke both his legs.

Herbie says it was a 260cuin which is what they used in the early Sunbeam Tiger. I didn’t realise they used that in the Cobra. Perhaps someone got it wrong.

The cover of Eddie Henderson’s most recent album, 2020’s Shuffle and Deal (Smoke Sessions), finds the trumpet titan sitting on the hood of his Ferrari. The car isn’t on the cover simply because he loves it—although he does, as he’ll happily tell you—but because Ferraris served for Henderson as an odd stepping stone into his long career as a jazz musician.
“I had known Herbie Hancock when he was with Miles Davis [in the mid-1960s], but all we talked about was sports cars!” he explains. “He had a Shelby Cobra, and I always wanted a Ferrari. But he only knew me as a friend of Miles [Davis, who was close to Henderson’s parents] who lived in San Francisco and loved sports cars. He didn’t even know I played.
“So, when he brought his band through town in 1970 and needed a trumpet player, and someone recommended me, he said, ‘What? No, he’s a doctor.’ But he did know me, because we’d spent all that time talking about sports cars! So Herbie gave me a chance for one week, and that week turned into the rest of my life.”

https://jazztimes.com/features/interviews/eddie-henderson-bright-moments/

OTEtNjA3Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

Herbie says it was a 260cuin which is what they used in the early Sunbeam Tiger. I didn’t realise they used that in the Cobra. Perhaps someone got it wrong.

Herbie's is a '63. The first 75 of the Mk1 Cobras were fitted with 260 cu. in. engines, before they switched to the 289 in mid-1963.

My dad's '63 Galaxie 500 also had the 260. :)

Herbie's is a '63. The first 75 of the Mk1 Cobras were fitted with 260 cu. in. engines, before they switched to the 289 in mid-1963.

My dad's '63 Galaxie 500 also had the 260. :)
I was surprised that it is a 260, I didn't know that engine was ever used in a Cobra. Everyone knows about the 289 and of course the 427, the Cobra-on-Steroids. I find the 289 (and of course Herbie's 260, it's the same body) prettier than the bulky one.

advertisement

Back