advertisement

Panorama tonight - ultra processed foods

Curious as to how you find the time if you're both working and have kids to feed to travel around to various outlets for a weekly shopping, and manage to learn how to and to prepare food to feed yourselves and children three to four times a day while working full time jobs and it only costing £70 (which I also don't believe in the slightest unless a large element of that is processed carbs, as my bill for just myself exceeds that and I do have to make everything from scratch for health reasons)

Curious as to how you find the time if you're both working and have kids to feed to travel around to various outlets for a weekly shopping, and manage to prepare food to feed yourselves and children three to four times a day while working full time jobs and it only costing £70 (which I also don't believe in the slightest unless a large element of that is processed carbs)

As I said above, we don’t have children.

Anyway, Lidl and M&S are done on my way home from work on a Friday, and the farm shops on Saturday some time. It really doesn’t take very long.

We're more and more veggie so we've moved away a bit from the idea of one central meal: lots of veg and people can pick and choose. But it needs planning, a way to restock the fridge every few days, lots of pots and pans and space. Time and money in other words.

That's where we're very lucky, OH works in a selection of local supermarkets so often has a quick scan on the food aisle on paid time.

Amazing deals are about but not all in the same place.

Weekday dinner takes half an hour generally - maybe a hour in total if it’s something that needs to oven cook.

I’m really not seeing the issue!

Well you're saying that it's 'cheap' to eat healthily, and you can do it for £70 a week (which I dont believe), so I was trying to see how you manage to make three meals a day at home for £70 while having a job and potentially a family.

Its easy to get carried away with the 'well if I can do it everyone can' rhetoric, when you don't take other peoples different lives and responsibilities into account. On a whole, there is a reason why processed food is so popular/utilised and it's not because 'all' people are lazy.

To be fair, though, quite a lot of people are !

Hello David Cameron, didn't expect to see you here?

There will always be people that won't fit your own rhetoric and social mould, but you'll often find that those people you call 'lazy' may actually have a lot going on elsewhere..can't judge until you know each of their stories, as you may certainly be surprised when you do.

Also don't forget the power of lobbying in the food industry, and how we now have generations of folk 'programmed' to believe what those plastic food manufacturers wanted them to believe..all for profit.

my mum frequently cooked multiple dinners - my dad worked late (in his second job as a dispensing pharmacist) and my brother was an exceptionally fussy eater. We were all out and about and timing dinners for my mum was difficult. Sunday lunch was and still is an alien concept for me. My brother and Dad were out playing Sunday league football, i was out competing in a swimming gala - a large family lunch was never happening. We did often have a roast dinner on a Sunday evening.

My grandparents often cooked for us, sausages, vienna sausages, thick cut salami battered and shallow fried, cured beef, pickled beef, smoked fish etc etc I distinctly recall my grandmother, walking to the market just as it was closing to scavenge any fruit and veg left behind by the packing up traders. i recall the butchers leaving the cheaper cuts aside for people with a limited income.... I remember the egg stores allowing people to buy one egg when they were strapped for cash.....i remember Natt ("the cucumber") giving away the bendy cucumbers to poorer customers....

Weekday dinner takes half an hour generally - maybe a hour in total if it’s something that needs to oven cook.

I’m really not seeing the issue!
Not an issue for you, perhaps. But can you appreciate that there are lots of people who don’t have such a straightforward solution available. Maybe they commute by bus and don’t pass a suitable shop, or can’t carry a weekly shop on their way home from work. Or working hours don’t mesh well with shop opening times, perhaps. Or mealtimes for that matter. All sorts of reasons why many people can’t always do something which you yourself don’t have a problem with.

Afraid this thread has run away from me; must've been my thread on baked beans. I know we're retired, but have always cooked large amounts and separated them into freezer meals. Ready meals of guaranteed quality! Even working parents have leisure days (a.k.a. weekends), so at least once a week a few hours can be directed to a big bol. or Milanese sauce, ruby or whatever.

T.b.h., I also bought in meat pies and the like when kiddies were young we were carers for a while but veg was always freshly cooked. However, I gather frozen veg across the board is proving popular now (and cheaper; how come?) and I can't see anything unhealthy about that.

Afraid this thread has run away from me; must've been my thread on baked beans. However, I gather frozen veg across the board is proving popular now (and cheaper; how come?) and I can't see anything unhealthy about that.
Frozen veg is cheaper because of the economies of scale during processing and the fact t that it keeps indefinitely once frozen. It's very easy to transport and retail, with near zero wastage.
I'm not getting into the rest of this thread, too much ill informed crap to wade through. We've been here before, nobody modifies any views, however ill founded they are.

Frozen veg is cheaper because of the economies of scale during processing and the fact t that it keeps indefinitely once frozen. It's very easy to transport and retail, with near zero wastage.
I'm not getting into the rest of this thread, too much ill informed crap to wade through. We've been here before, nobody modifies any views, however ill founded they are.
Can’t disagree with that.

I've not watched the Panorama programme, but this is pfm and I heard it trailed a few time on the radio. I was surprised to hear low-fat and zero-fat yogurt, which I eat quite a bit of, described as ultra-processed, but on reflection I suppose it is, as it's had naturally occuring content removed. However, looking at the Waitrose versions of full-fat, low-fat and zero-fat yogurt the only difference seems to be the fat content, so what's the problem? Same goes for milk. I don't think it's necessarily axiomatic that all things "processed" are necessarily bad, or are they?

PS and as a kid I too was given my meals pretty much on a take it or leave it basis, and it never occurred to me that this was in some way wrong. As I got older my mum and dad, who both worked, showed me how to cook and I enjoyed helping with the meals. I'm deffo a middle class centre-lefty dad :)

I've not watched the Panorama programme, but this is pfm and I heard it trailed a few time on the radio. I was surprised to hear low-fat and zero-fat yogurt, which I eat quite a bit of, described as ultra-processed, but on reflection I suppose it is, as it's had naturally occuring content removed. However, looking at the Waitrose versions of full-fat, low-fat and zero-fat yogurt the only difference seems to be the fat content, so what's the problem? Same goes for milk. I don't think it's necessarily axiomatic that all things "processed" are necessarily bad, or are they?

PS and as a kid I too was given my meals pretty much on a take it or leave it basis, and it never occurred to me that this was in some way wrong. As I got older my mum and dad, who both worked, showed me how to cook and I enjoyed helping with the meals. I'm deffo a middle class centre-lefty dad :)

Why would you eat low fat? Fat is your friend, and guess what, it won't make you fat (unless you load yourself with carbs on top). Unlike what the food lobbyists would tell you when they sell you 'cheap to produce big profit' cereal and grains.

Hello David Cameron, didn't expect to see you here?

There will always be people that won't fit your own rhetoric and social mould, but you'll often find that those people you call 'lazy' may actually have a lot going on elsewhere..can't judge until you know each of their stories, as you may certainly be surprised when you do.

Also don't forget the power of lobbying in the food industry, and how we now have generations of folk 'programmed' to believe what those plastic food manufacturers wanted them to believe..all for profit.

And the social warrior is off yet again…Give it a bloody rest!

And the social warrior is off yet again…Give it a bloody rest!

Give what a rest? Acknowledging that we do not know everyone's stories and therefore we should really show an empathic open mind about their circumstances and how/why they got there?

Is that really such a bad thing that needs to be 'silenced' or is it you that needs to adopt a more modern, intelligent and compassionate way of looking at a situation and a person?

A great quote by Victor Daniels,

"We must learn to tailor our concepts to fit reality, instead of trying to stuff reality into our concepts"

Why would you eat low fat? Fat is your friend, and guess what, it won't make you fat (unless you load yourself with carbs on top). Unlike what the food lobbyists would tell you when they sell you 'cheap to produce big profit' cereal and grains.
Exactly.

As I said earlier, people need to challenge the propaganda from the food industry but some never will. They are completely brainwashed and won't even do basic research. It's not difficult at all.

advertisement

Back