advertisement

Chris Thomas Hi Fi Reviewer - RIP

Chris Harris

Just heard some very sad news - Chris Thomas has passed away, along with his love of Watches and Vintage Guitars he was one of the finest Hi Fi reviewers of his time as well as retailing Audio in both East and South London in the 80's / 90's He was also involved in releasing the wonderful Nimbus pressed albums for Practical Hi Fi and Hi Fi Today which so many of us enjoy still to this day, as well as writing for Hi Fi Review and Popular Hi Fi and more recently Hi Fi Plus. Chris was a very private person, but I counted him as a good friend and like myself was a lifelong Gooner !! RIP CT.

Last edited:
Very sad news, I remember him from HiFi Review. I didn’t know he was involved in the superb Nimbus Supercut vinyl. They remain benchmarks for many titles. RIP.

That is very sad news.

I can appreciate this today as I have just returned from my 90 year old mothers funeral, so the emotions are running high at present...

Commiserations, Graham. I’m sure pleasantries like ‘she had a good innings’ is not what you need just now.

Reactions: GT
An excellent hifi reviewer, whose writings I always looked forward to reading back in the day.

R.I.P. and condolences to his family.

Sad news indeed. I remember buying my very first Naim system from his Audio Venue shop in Crystal Palace. He even invited me round to his home to listen to his Nac 52. Nice guy. R.I.P.

Last edited:
February 1989's Hi-Fi Review was my first hi-fi mag, a copy that I still have. Chris wrote a brilliant review of the Ion Systems Obelisk 1. An amplifier I listened to and compared with the equivalents from Creek and Arcam. I ended up buying the Ion Systems amplifier. R.I.P. Chris. And my condolences to Graham.

Andrew

I first met Chris when I was 15 at Chris Thomas Audio Systems in Walthamstow East London. I can’t believe he’s gone.

I was one of Chris's freelance colleagues in his days writing for Practical/Hi-Fi Today. Sad news indeed and condolences to any family or friends reading. In my circles Chris was probably best know for his feature/interview with Kate Bush. There was a story in the day of Chris feeling burned out and decided on a holiday on a remote Greek Island - flight, trips on ever decreasing size of ferry to arrive at deserted destination. Day 1 - the beach - where there is just one man reading a magazine. He only happened to be reading Popular Hi-Fi and one of Chris's review. The story goes that the holiday finished there and then. DGP

advertisement

Back