advertisement

Best speakers in the 5k-ish range

Is it a small valve amp? Modest solid state? Big beefy solid state? How big is the room?

That would help suggest something.

What are you listening to? Lots of choice at £5k

Is it a small valve amp? Modest solid state? Big beefy solid state? How big is the room?

Its some SE400s since youre all asking! So fairly meaty solid state. Room is 18' x 13@, speakers firing across the 13' space, so wide and short from the speakers pov. Listen to blues/rock/pink floyd/dire straits type stuff

Not even a big fan of metal tweeters to be honest. Some sound ok but most seem unnatural and I always prefer soft domes.
That is the conclusion I am also coming to. As for starting with a list of speakers I like, I dont have such a list yet, hence looking for suggestions! ;-) Will look at the Fynes though

Each message will recommend a preferred brand/speaker.
Not useful.

Visit a couple of dealers and listen to a bunch of different speakers.
Yes I see your point, however, there is simply too much choice and Im going to start filtering to some extent by the feedback here

I think pfm is very good for making a shortlist but then you have to make a choice: trust a good dealer, hopefully who stocks your other gear and home dem paying more or less full whack, or: buy second hand wisely on the basis of research and instinct and hope, selling on if it doesn’t work out. The latter gets you better speakers for the outlay but requires more time and effort.

Another option is to invite yourself/be invited to listen to other members systems similar to yours. Most here are happy to do that I think.

I presume you presently have speakers of some sort. What are they and what do you like and not like about them?

Finally, on the presumption that you’re keeping the mystery amps and going passive, and why not, we need to know their real world speaker driving ability, the distance and volume at which you listen.

I think pfm is very good for making a shortlist but then you have to make a choice: trust a good dealer, hopefully who stocks your other gear and home dem paying more or less full whack, or: buy second hand wisely on the basis of research and instinct and hope, selling on if it doesn’t work out. The latter gets you better speakers for the outlay but requires more time and effort.

Another option is to invite yourself/be invited to listen to other members systems similar to yours. Most here are happy to do that I think.

I presume you presently have speakers of some sort. What are they and what do you like and not like about them?

Finally, on the presumption that you’re keeping the mystery amps and going passive, and why not, we need to know their real world speaker driving ability, the distance and volume at which you listen.
Yep big thumbs up to all that. Current speakers are some old Boston Acoustic A360s, they have been pretty good really which is why Im only now looking to move on. Just looking for an all round upgrade really

Good posting- folk need info before suggesting anything.:)

Its some SE400s since youre all asking! So fairly meaty solid state. Room is 18' x 13@, speakers firing across the 13' space, so wide and short from the speakers pov. Listen to blues/rock/pink floyd/dire straits type stuff

Audio Physic Virgo 5, apparently work superbly spaced wider apart than the norm.

This all seems arse about face to me. I’d typically suggest starting with speakers that have a sound/ presentation you like, then narrow down to one’s that are appropriate for your room size etc. Then you select an amp that matches and drives them the best.

I don’t understand starting with the amp? I certainly don’t understand the need for secrecy about the amp, but whatever. If you start with the amp you can often paint yourself into a corner to begin with, and you’re not starting with the most important thing which is a presentation you like and working back from there.

All I can really say now is keep your money in your pocket and go tour other peoples systems for a few months and experience what’s out there which might broaden your appreciation and help identify types of speaker you like, but you’ll then need to check whether any of those work with your existing amps or not and either compromise or sacrifice the amps. Always best to listen lots and buy once - trial and error is not an effective or efficient system building process.

Speakers are such a personal choice, random recommendations from people who’s tastes may differ, who’s rooms might be different, and which have different starting components (eg amps) really are useless at best and expensively misleading at worst.

Good luck.

As I previously mentioned I tried a lot of the Marten speaker range. But they didnt quite gel with me

May I ask which Marten speakers you've tried and what amp was used with the speakers? If the speakers sound analytical or bright in the treble, they would be highlighting the character of the amplifier, in my experience. I own the Marten Duke 2 and they sound very smooth with great clarity and detail. As a matter of fact, they sound smoother with a liquid quality in comparison to all speakers I've owned which include Harbeth SHL5+.

If you're happy with the amps and wish to continue with inefficient, small driver floorstanders (my least favourite genre but that's just me), I'd put appropriately priced PMC, Kudos, Neat, Fyne, Spendor, ProAc and Q Acoustics Concept 500 on my list. So, that's just me thinking for 2 minutes. Then I would advise selling the amps and getting active speakers anyway, so I'm sure you can see how quickly this gets confusing and out of hand.

advertisement

Back