advertisement

Apple Vision Pro

I suspect (at least parts of) social media will have morphed into VR in 10 years.

Yes, IMHO it will be possible to sit around a table in a bar, any bar in the world of your choice, with your mates for a virtual few pints and a catch up, that type of thing.

Yes, IMHO it will be possible to sit around a table in a bar, any bar in the world of your choice, with your mates for a virtual few pints and a catch up, that type of thing.

possible or not - would you want to do this?

possible or not - would you want to do this?

The Stringfellows app will be out soon then.

Have you heard inklings of the new Swingers app on the ‘other’ forums you frequent? You could virtually meet potentials from the convenience of your own pampas grass surrounded fortress..

Think about it. We’re less than a year away from seeing pictures of what people are drinking in a pub and learning about it here. Same for what they made for supper.

Joe

I have a feeling VR is going to be like 3D tvs, until you aint wearing stupid eyewear its never going to be a thing.

I feel like this is a strange decision by apple.

Well, iPhone was a gadget, iPad was a toy, iPod was a fashion… even the Mac was something like that.
Wait…

I think this is another step towards sensible usability for VR / immersive products, tech and experience, and takes things in a more joined up direction. What actual need there will be for such functionality, and how many will take it up remains to be seen. In many ways I agree with the post above that suggests this is a solution looking for a problem, but there will be positives that come from it too.

Currently the top-end VR headsets for personal recreational use are the Varjo Aero and Pimax Crystal, both of which are around £2,000.00 and both of which require a pc with a very high-end CPU and GPU to get the best out of them. In use they are not remotely simple, and need lots of faffing around and tweaking various settings and interfaces to get them to run.

If the Vision Pro successfully moves things towards a more simple user experience and leads to more affordable similar products further down the line, then I can imagine lots of people will take it up and finds new uses for it.

I think this technology will rapidly become the way most media (films, music, etc) are consumed, and will also make substantial inroads into most consumer / creative industries, with many other areas following on. The headsets of 10-15 years in the future will obviously be much more evolved & comfortable, and probably less intrusive and more tolerated - although I think there will also be a minority that eschew this technology altogether.

The pricing is interesting. Apple have now established themselves as the leader in this market, and have priced accordingly. Their product will be the aspirational product to own, and this will allow them to capture, say 40-50% of total market value, with, say 25-30% of the volume. Companies like Meta will have to work hard not to be seen as a commodity player relying mainly on volume.

The tie-up with Disney is also interesting - I wonder if Apple will now begin to acquire major content creators?

All Ipad apps work on it now. There will be new apps and only 1/2 of them need to be very popular.

Judging by what Disney showed, there's some mileage in this, especially for sports and music. Accessibility too.

^ I’d never seen that before and yes that’s exactly where we’ll end up! Are we seriously going to have to pay to NOT have adverts in front of us though! It’s inevitable I say.

advertisement

Back