advertisement

[WTD] PT TOO

yespsb

pfm Member
Must be in decent condition with original perspex top. I am not concerned if it has an arm fitted or not and I can live with a motor/power supply problem or other issues if the price is commensurate. Happy to travel to collect within reason. Thanks in advance Paul

Does it really need to be a Too? I've seen PT1s on sale in the forums and on EBay. I can't see any advantage in using an ac motor.

PT nuts tweak PT TOOs to match their DC brethren - many (most?) PT nuts would choose a PT1 over a PT TOO.

An Anni' though................................

Great decks - VERY different to an LP12.

I would be changing the motor to a DC unit hence my comments about motor/power supply. I would love an anniversary but the prices don't justice the difference between a PT TOO and an anniversary and fwiw I think I could bring a PT TOO up to anniversary spec for a lesser amount.

I am unsure of the logic, but a motor change would cost peanuts by using the standard Tecnics(?) donor

Hello! I have a working Too with original lid, RB250, psu. One of the hinges is broken. PM me if you would like to chat.

Cheers!

Jim

I am unsure of the logic, but a motor change would cost peanuts by using the standard Tecnics(?) donor

If you can get a decently priced donor any more.
The donor for my LPT cost me all of £30 a few years ago.
Why not buy a PT1 outright?

If you can get a decently priced donor any more.
The donor for my LPT cost me all of £30 a few years ago.
Why not buy a PT1 outright?

The idea is to mod' it to an Ani', or that is how I read things. The Ani' has a battery PSU - not difficult to clone if you have the circuit or one to copy, although the odds are at least some of the semi-conductors will be obsolete.

Some anniversary TTs had battery PSUs and some did not. I cannot instantly recall which came first

You know what it requires to take a PT to an Anni- interested to know as l am sort of halfway there with my PT Export GTI ( True Point version.)

You know what it requires to take a PT to an Anni- interested to know as l am sort of halfway there with my PT Export GTI ( True Point version.)
Tim Bissell on VE would be a good source for this information.
Some years ago I bought a vectored PT1 on the dreaded auction site.
I believe the largest increase in SQ results from a quality psu driving a sub-chassis mounted quality low vibration motor. The tempo is rock steady with piano sounding perfect. The sub-chassis is modified with a layer of balsa but I think other damping solutions / materials can be used. Not sure what was used on the Anni sub-chassis.

I bought an Anni in 1991, that was mains only - the battery PSU came out later. There was a phase of dished platters and a clamp with the Anni too. I had mine serviced at Truepoint last year given it's age, I now use their 'Midas Plus' PSU in place of the original. It wasn't cheap but proved to be a noticeable upgrade on the original.

I think the quality and reliability of the power supply is critical to getting the best best out of most TTs and the Pink Triangle TTs have definitely had their ups and downs re power supplies.

Pink Triangle TTs have definitely had their ups and downs re power supplies.

Apart from wall warts, did PT ever sell more than one?
So far as I recall, they only ever made the battery supply for the Anni' and then slightly rehashed and produced for the Linnk. This has only ever had great reviews.

I bought an Anni in 1991, that was mains only - the battery PSU came out later. There was a phase of dished platters and a clamp with the Anni too. I had mine serviced at Truepoint last year given it's age, I now use their 'Midas Plus' PSU in place of the original. It wasn't cheap but proved to be a noticeable upgrade on the original.

Do you know the make up of your Anni's sub-chassis? Is there a balsa layer?

advertisement

Back