advertisement

Headway Brain Injury Charity

I think Jesus would have done a better job, carpentry and all that.

What got my goat was the “it will sort itself out” attitude.
Yes, some doctors are arxeholes. My favourite was a neurologist who was more interested in chatting up his 20-something receptionist than looking at my recent head injury. Does he need surgery? No? Fxxk it then, someone else s problem. So, Sarah, were you out and about at the weekend? Oh, I don't know that bar, is it nice? This is from a bloke nearer 50 than 40, at work, using his position to try to pick up women half his age over whom he has influence. It was bloody nauseating. I was in bits, hurting and on drugs and even I was cringing.

Called in at Headway yesterday to pick up empty sleeves to fill.

A genuine ‘young person,’ of aboot 22 yrs. old was perusing the records for sale, so I asked what kind of vinyl he was interested in…
> “Alma Cogan,” came the reply.

Of all the artistes that I might have expected, Alma Cogan was never a consideration!
So this morning I have found at least one 7” to put in the shop.

Alma Cogan – Tell Him

More images

Label: Columbia – 45-DB 4965
Format:
Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, Single
Released: 1963

£2 ! nr/mint with original company sleeve. :)

Called in at Headway yesterday to pick up empty sleeves to fill.

A genuine ‘young person,’ of aboot 22 yrs. old was perusing the records for sale, so I asked what kind of vinyl he was interested in…
> “Alma Cogan,” came the reply.

Of all the artistes that I might have expected, Alma Cogan was never a consideration!
So this morning I have found at least one 7” to put in the shop.

Alma Cogan – Tell Him

More images

Label: Columbia – 45-DB 4965
Format:
Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, Single
Released: 1963

£2 ! nr/mint with original company sleeve. :)
Well, it wouldn't be for me but if you want an Alma Cogan collection that's certainly something that you want in it, and at £2 you aren't going wrong.

Picked up a donation today. A few crappy albums - straight in the bin - a few worth a quid.
There was lots (200+) 7” Singles.
Initially I thought it was more rubbish but what a surprise!

Ramones ‘Sheena is a Punk Rocker’ - not mint, but playable.
Pink Floyd ‘See Emily Play’ original 1967, far from mint, but will play with some work
The Kinks ‘Where have all the good times gone’ filthy, but should play eventually.

Having a break because looking up Singles is taxing.

The Bernie Tormé Band ‘I’m Not Ready (1978) with picture sleeve.
Silicon Teens ‘Judy in Disguise’ :)

Last edited:
Nice work BT. When I get back home I'll bike over to the bike restoration charity where I volunteer and spanner a few bikes. It's good fun, constructive (literally and figuratively) and we get to tackle the big issues, like which of the Dylan 70s albums are worth getting at charity shop prices and whether Desmond Dekker is better than the Pioneers.

Sold a copy of this over the weekend for Headway.

Amazing condition, and I priced it to sell at £25 inc. postage. Wow.
When I first saw the donated 7” I nearly chucked it straight in the bin, well worth checking on Discogs ;)

Ed Welch – Theme From "Blockbusters"

More images

Label: Grasmere – GRASS 2
Format:
Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, Single, Stereo
Released: 1988
Genre: Stage & Screen

Excellent week in the charity shop.
We have sold £52 worth of vinyl - 50-50 percentages of L.P’s and 7” Singles.

This is really pleasing as it is getting towards the end of the month, and sales usually drop off a bit late in the month re: spare monies.

I now have 27 empty plastic record sleeves to fill with cleaned and tested records ready for Tuesday next week. I have already filled about 30 sleeves this week, so the punters are filling their boots!

Following my recent head injury, I have a pending appointment at my local Headway.

Never knew this thread existed. Read it all and thanks.

Cheers, and best wishes with regards to you (your injury) which I believe is recent.

A little advice, if offered a Speech and Language Therapy (salt) referral, if you are having any communication difficulties, take the opportunity.

When I was offered, I was in too much pain, and had other injuries that needed intervention - nowadays my communication issues are still present, even though they can appear subtle initially. One wouldn’t know that I had an issue unless we had a long conversation, or thought I was joking all the time. o_O

Bizarrely, typing is better as it is at my pace. And I can erase whole paragraphs before landing myself in the proverbial.

Sold a copy of this over the weekend for Headway.

Amazing condition, and I priced it to sell at £25 inc. postage. Wow.
When I first saw the donated 7” I nearly chucked it straight in the bin, well worth checking on Discogs ;)

Ed Welch – Theme From "Blockbusters"

More images

Label: Grasmere – GRASS 2
Format:
Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, Single, Stereo
Released: 1988
Genre: Stage & Screen
Can I have a P Bob?
Is Baker Street on the B side?

Well done young man. I also had a bike accident in 1978 in London which hospitalised me with a head trauma. They said i recovered but looking back? :)
Anyway I came across headway in Northants when my School said we might all like to contribute after School time to give some help etc, and the art department chose headway.
No one knew what to expect, and that first evening when 7 men and women with 2 helpers turned up at our door. Blimey. I had me, and 5 6th form volunteers to offer Art time with a drawing and pastel session on offer. It was a moving and amazing hour, and at the end we were a bit shell shocked (sry) and not a few tears were shed.
We went on with this for 2 years, once a week and it was such a good time for all.
Very glad to read about all you hard work and help. That's amazing.

I had no idea you did this, first time seeing this thread. Good on you and congratulations on finding your place in the shop and increasing sales!

a friend (mainly an online one, met a couple of times through shared hobby of car hifi!) was knocked off his motorbike a number of years ago, was in a coma, broken back, neck, legs. lost all memory..

He posted on the forum we frequented because he found it in his internet history and saw he had 15,000 posts so obviously had spent a lot of time there! He hadn't posted for months and he basically posted “you might know me? I posted a lot here.. I’ve lost all memories and wondered if you guys could remind me of a few things”.

The response was amazing, links posted to threads he created. Pictures of him, the whole shebang. Some of His memories did return.

Now years later he’s 100% again.

I picked up one days worth of sales/empty sleeves today - £27 worth! not bad for one day. When I first started doing this, we were lucky to make £20 a month.

The Gary Moore ‘live in Japan’ flew out at £7 nr/mint.
Amazingly, someone coughed up £3 for Dawn ‘Tie A Yellow Ribbon’ nr/mint album - I thought that might sit in stock for a few months.

50/50 album/7” Single sales this time

I have quite a few records, mainly jazz, which belonged to my father. As he is suffering with dementia he is unable to use them, I was going to try to sell them and use any proceeds to supplement his pension, but find the thought of the whole process of cleaning, cataloguing & selling depressing. Your post Big Tabs has really resonated in a good way, so I would like to donate all of the records to Headway, via yourself and hope you can generate some much needed funds, hopefully some are as rare as hens teeth. Please contact me re the logistics.

I have quite a few records, mainly jazz, which belonged to my father. As he is suffering with dementia he is unable to use them, I was going to try to sell them and use any proceeds to supplement his pension, but find the thought of the whole process of cleaning, cataloguing & selling depressing. Your post Big Tabs has really resonated in a good way, so I would like to donate all of the records to Headway, via yourself and hope you can generate some much needed funds, hopefully some are as rare as hens teeth. Please contact me re the logistics.

thank you. Jazz sells here, but doesn’t turn up very often. anything considered ( apart from Slim Whitman etc.) the Headway shop address is in the opening post. If you live close just drop em off.
or post to The Manager at the same address -

or if near another Headway branch, drop them off, and state that they are for the shop in the O.P. or address them to my branch and the Headway stock rotation will eventually get it to us.

thank you. Jazz sells here, but doesn’t turn up very often. anything considered ( apart from Slim Whitman etc.) the Headway shop address is in the opening post. If you live close just drop em off.
or post to The Manager at the same address -

or if near another Headway branch, drop them off, and state that they are for the shop in the O.P. or address them to my branch and the Headway stock rotation will eventually get it to us.

Will do

I had no idea you did this, first time seeing this thread. Good on you and congratulations on finding your place in the shop and increasing sales!

a friend (mainly an online one, met a couple of times through shared hobby of car hifi!) was knocked off his motorbike a number of years ago, was in a coma, broken back, neck, legs. lost all memory..

He posted on the forum we frequented because he found it in his internet history and saw he had 15,000 posts so obviously had spent a lot of time there! He hadn't posted for months and he basically posted “you might know me? I posted a lot here.. I’ve lost all memories and wondered if you guys could remind me of a few things”.

The response was amazing, links posted to threads he created. Pictures of him, the whole shebang. Some of His memories did return.

Now years later he’s 100% again.

Trying hard to remember who that was?

DM me if you don't want to put it in the public domain.

Bikes scare the poop out of me, my worst accident left me wrapped around a cars front wheel! All because the driver dropped a cassette and bent down to pick it up not seeing me in the middle of the road turning right....

advertisement

Back