advertisement

The 2023 Formula One Season

It was nice seeing Mercedes on the podium again, but there is this yawning gap between the Verstappen/Red Bull combination and all others. Hamilton clearly has still got it, but at 38 perhaps not as much of "it" as he once had, and not enough to counter Red Bull. But then Alonso is 41 and still going strong.

Perhaps all team designers should be compelled to change teams ever few years, so that everyone can have a Newey occasionally?

I flicked through a recording in about 25-30 minutes. Did anyone fall asleep?
No I didn't, whilst VER was way out on his own, there were some good battles from 6th backwards.

Lewis and RUS drove really good races.

ZHO drove a great race to be 10th on the track, but was moved up to 9th with TSU receiving a 5 second penalty for causing ZHO to go off the track whilst trying to overtake TSU who was starting to struggle with his tyres. Meanwhile BOT, in the same Alfa Romeo, was racing to not be last and just managed to finish a few seconds ahead of SAR, who was last.

The different strategies, and how the tyres played out was interesting, especially after the removal of the 3 lower speed corners at the end of the lap and going back to 2 fast corners onto the main straight, which helped with overtaking possibilities.

This change has also pushed Barcelona to be more of a high efficiency race track for these cars, much like it used to be. Couple that with a very different race day from qualifying (fast improving track grip which caught some teams and drivers out) and it is not clear whether the Merc upgrades have really worked and if so, whether there is more to come from getting a good setup on the car at a track where the conditions are more consistent (weather and tarmac condition).

I watched most of it as well whilst building a Lego "I Am Groot" and then prepping dinner.

Quite enjoyable once you ignore VER winning whilst half asleep (how else do you explain 4 or 5 track limit warnings).

Personally delighted to see HAM and RUS up there with a car with a decent top speed at last as their early races did not show that at all. Overtaking under DRS was too easy for some but there were some decent closer overtakes in the midfield. Love TSU Mr Angry responses, can't help wondering if he hurts his own chances getting that cross all the time.

I was thinking during the race the circuit seemed to flow pretty well and had not been paying attention that they had removed 3 slow corners and speeded it up - thanks Ian

Last impression - what the hell did Ferrari do the LEC's car????

I caught a glimpse of the 0-200kph acceleration times live this afternoon and just confirmed what I saw via the replay. Even for an F1 car those numbers are fast! 0 - 124mph in 2.76 secs!:eek:

Another easy win for Red Bull/Verstappen. Mercedes on the podium but 24+ seconds adrift and never close during the race. They must take encouragement from that nonetheless.

Another easy win for Red Bull/Verstappen. Mercedes on the podium but 24+ seconds adrift and never close during the race. They must take encouragement from that nonetheless.

Indeed, their reaction in interviews echoed that exactly. RB were coasting for most of the race, they could have lapped the field if they wanted. I suspect it is like 2014 where Merc did not push their engine advantage too much so as to not be too far ahead that the rules got changed.

F1 boring as usual, with at least Lewis and George doing well, I do wonder at times how Sky can keep coming up with the same boring format of coverage and presenters, almost as boring as the racing, at least Nico Rosberg hacked little Jack Horner off, wondeful, highlight of the show.

Indy Car mad as usual, but exciting to watch, more like a demolition derby at times, think Romain Grosjean best watch out as he might lose his seat if he keeps crashing at his current rate.

Result:-
F1 - 0
Indy Car - 1

:D

I'm a week late with this question, but...

All the stuff that they bring into Monaco to turn the city into a race track, where do they keep it the rest of the year? All the grandstands, safety equipment, the pit garages, pedestrian bridges and walkways, temporary buildings, it must fill several enormous warehouses somewhere?

I'm a week late with this question, but...

All the stuff that they bring into Monaco to turn the city into a race track, where do they keep it the rest of the year? All the grandstands, safety equipment, the pit garages, pedestrian bridges and walkways, temporary buildings, it must fill several enormous warehouses somewhere?
Rented from contractors, and installed/dismantled by them, I’d guess.

advertisement

Back