advertisement

Battery Lawnmower

I need to purchase a lawnmower for the new house, we currently have artificial turf as our back garden was the breeding ground for Crane Flies.

New turf is about 10m x 6m and I also have to do a border around the side and front of the property. We used to have a Flymo but didn’t like the grass being blown around. I was considering petrol but a guy at work told Mrs BB he had traded his petrol mower for a battery mower and was really pleased with it. Anyone got any experiences to share?

Cheers BB

The only issue is the batteries are expensive - very expensive. If you already have some battery tools then it makes a lot of sense e.g. Greenworks 40 V.

@gavreid has one of the main hassles, the other is that batteries usually give up long before the mower itself does, and are then unobtainium/obsolete.
Stick with petrol or mains electric - the latter hardly a major hassle on that size lawn.

Daddy longlegs - crane flies - just buy some nematodes at the right time of year - sorted.

@gavreid has one of the main hassles, the other is that batteries usually give up long before the mower itself does, and are then unobtainium/obsolete.
Stick with petrol or mains electric - the latter hardly a major hassle on that size lawn.

Daddy longlegs - crane flies - just buy some nematodes at the right time of year - sorted.

We tried Nematodes, after re-laying the turf for the 4th time we got a company in to look after the lawn, even they failed. We live in a block of 5 houses, the middle 3 all had their lawns obliterated.

Cheers BB

I replaced my Hayter petrol mower (still going strong at a friends place) with a Bosch Rotak 43LI Cordless Mower in June 2007. It came with two batteries and the mower and batteries are still working well. I alternate them but if you have a very large lawn you can keep going all day with one on charge whilst mowing. I believe it is still available to buy.

We recently suffered serious crane fly damage with a brand new turfed lawn and had to reseed after nematode treatment. We are still treating with nematodes twice a year until we have nice hard grass roots.

All my tools are now battery driven.

DV

We have a stihl battery lawnmower. It’s a RMA 339 or something similar (it’s a couple of years old).

The battery charges quite quickly (we have the smallest one) and it cut our old lawn (about 1 1/2 times the size of a tennis court using 50% of the battery capacity.

It’s certainly a lot easier than using a mains powered mower and no need to worry about electrocuting yourself.

There are pros and cons to both petrol and battery mowers. I can only suggest a bit of online due diligence and a visit to a garden centre.

We have a stihl battery lawnmower. It’s a RMA 339 or something similar (it’s a couple of years old).

The battery charges quite quickly (we have the smallest one) and it cut our old lawn (about 1 1/2 times the size of a tennis court using 50% of the battery capacity.

It’s certainly a lot easier than using a mains powered mower and no need to worry about electrocuting yourself.

There are pros and cons to both petrol and battery mowers. I can only suggest a bit of online due diligence and a visit to a garden centre.

This one looks good:

https://shop.stihl.co.uk/collection...35-cordless-lawn-mower?variant=23969403011172

I've had a GTech mower since 2020. It's a lot better than the Hayter Harrier it replaced at dealing with longer, moister grass, gives a good finish and recharges quickly. Whether it will last the 30 years that the Harrier managed is another matter.

We have a Makita mains lawnmower it’s very well built and performs well, I think they only do battery ones now but they use the same batteries as the power tools so you will always be able to get replacements.

Pete

Bought a battery flymo for a garden , does not have the torque that our petrol one does when its wet and long . Ok though

Last week we bought an EGO 1700E-SP to replace a 20+ y.o. Bosch which started smoking.

Self propelled with a bl00dy great battery.

I have an EGO chainsaw and it’s been great. Recommended a mower to a friend and he’s been very happy with it too. I believe they are pretty much the best battery powered gardening kit.

I have a fairly small lawn & a berm (a strip of grass between the property & footpath/street that here is the homeowners responsibility to keep tidy). I looked at battery mowers when my old mains powered one died because I was tired of dealing with the cord. It would put me off the job.
These came to be exactly my concerns. I bought another corded mower (same make but wider) very cheaply used because the owner had bought a battery one, & got over myself.

Why cut grass, if u are flogging an abode maybe, but otherwise let it go wild or if a cannabis strain, smoke it/ flog it

I only mow ours to stop the neighbours from thinking we are scum. Although they probably think that anyway.
We had one neighbour that trimmed the grass edges with scissors!

I only mow ours to stop the neighbours from thinking we are scum. Although they probably think that anyway.
We had one neighbour that trimmed the grass edges with scissors!
Mowing is practically my sole garden maintenance activity. I have wild trees, out of control shrubs, weeds everywhere. My neighbour, whom I bought the house from, & who keeps his own garden immaculate, more than probably thinks I’m a lazy bitch. It’s true, & I don’t care.

advertisement

Back