advertisement

UK new state pension (post 2016)

I never disputed entitlement to half private pension, indeed posted same earlier.

We were, it is not transferable, only SERPS built up before abolition in 2016 can be transferred. And I was referring to the OP whose wife is not entitled to a UK pension in her own right so cannot inherit his.

If you have a Ponzi scheme state pension it's probably best that it is not transferable. I sometimes wonder if creating a fully funded state pension scheme with the North Sea oil revenues would have been a good idea.

If your employer opted out as teaching did you could not get SERPS

My memory is vague on this, but my pension updates state the basic pension plus 'pre 97 additional state pension less contracted out deduction' . Also a graduated retirement and a post 97 additional state pension. (both of these two are peanuts).

I've no idea what these refer to; is SERPS involved, I wonder? Whatever, the money rolls in weekly and I pay the tax on it eventually. I have to assume the descriptions and amounts are right as I've no clue what changed and when. However, each element goes up annually.

So only SERPS that has been accrued is transferable - but only to a UK resident that has a minimum of 10 years payments of their own?

I worked for British Steel for 15+ years which had it's own contracted out scheme , but the rest of my career I was presumably paying SERPS.

Best thing to do is to get a pension forecast because it is impossible for a layperson to work out their own entitlement.
Even the agency concerned find it fiendishly difficult and often get it wrong.
There are several ways of getting one here,

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

It is also possible to buy missing NI years towards your state pension.
Currently you can go back as far as 2006 but this will end on July 31st and you will only be able to buy back the last 6 years.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions/

Thanks for the contacts - will wait until I get back to the UK in 2 weeks and I could use the phone too.

I recently applied for my state pension and was surprised that the amount quoted was exactly the same as the forecast amount. The only outstanding issue relates to COPE which I have asked my company pension provider (Mercer) to clarify.

Excellent news.
They were going to have to do something seeing how people were finding it nigh on impossible to contact them.

advertisement

Back