advertisement

Kaija Saariaho

PsB

Citizen of Nowhere™
Very sad to hear today that the Finnish composer Kaija Saariaho has died at the relatively young age of 70. She had been suffering from a brain tumour since 2021. She was one the great composers of the late 20th/early 21st century, and it’s sad to think that there won’t be any more masterpieces coming from her. I love her eclectic style.

I knew she was ill because she cancelled an interview in London last month - but I didn’t know that it was so serious. There’s been quite a bit of interest in Saariaho recently here because of the ROH production of Innocence (which certainly was a good night at the theatre, moving, attractive music and good performers (it’s still up (audio only) on the BBC site.) Also The Barbican had a “Total Immersion” weekend the weekend of the coronation (which I went to.)

For my taste, her best work, her most challenging and thought provoking music, was her earlier music. I like the dance music Maa, for example.

Her family’s announcement of her death may be of interest

https://scontent-man2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...ASiv1MqdOcevG2KHL-pkx-cVLZ8egs3KA&oe=647F64DE

Reactions: PsB
That is sad news RIP, I have a lot of CDs of her work. Favourites are the Works for Orchestra box and Private Gardens. ( shall play them this afternoon as tribute to an interesting life.

advertisement

Back