advertisement

Walking App on Android Phone

slavedata

pfm Member
I used to have a brilliant app on my phone called Viewranger. You pre downloaded open source maps before setting out and then it showed your location and route on the map. The company were taken over by another firm with a walking app that replaced Viewranger with their app. But the replacement app was useless.

Can anyone recommend an app for this application. Predownload a map before setting off then show your route on the map from the GPS locator in the phone.

I just use Strava as a cyclist anyway but the walking apps mentioned may be higher featured and better.

Just make sure you don’t have anything magnetic like bank cards near your phone.

Can be a bit wobbly under a lot of tree cover

PS, paid for version is well worth it.

Eh? Bank cards are affected by magnets I don’t see it hurting signal lol

That does not answer your concern. I keep a bank card between my phone and case just in case I need it. Never had an issue with the card or navigation

I am also a former user of Viewranger, now Outdooractive. While for me the app is fine, my main gripe is with OS who provide the maps. It looks like the OS has moved to a subscription-only model, that affects all other apps. Previous routes I bought for download are now gone.

There are also some open sourced maps, but the details you need for navigating tracks/pathways only seem to be available for subscription too via those apps.

Andrew

I subscribe to OS as I think £2.50/month is fair enough for the service they provide. Rather than use the maps offline though, I print them to carry with me as I don’t want to get into the habit of relying on a phone to guide me when I could lose power/signal. If I really need a real-time second opinion in the field (which is quite often) I fire up the MapThePaths Android app, which besides doing the job admirably is simple to use, decidedly unslick, a bit nerdy and slightly clunky (I still don’t know how to close it down without going to ‘force stop’ in the phone settings) - all of which appeals to me, as does the fact it is free.

Last edited:
That does not answer your concern. I keep a bank card between my phone and case just in case I need it. Never had an issue with the card or navigation
I had a card in between case and phone and did have a problem. A problem that was resolved when I took the card, or more correctly several cards , out and returned when I put them back

I subscribe to OS as I think £2.50/month is fair enough for the service they provide. Rather than use the maps offline though, I print them to carry with me as I don’t want to get into the habit of relying on a phone to guide me when I could lose power/signal. If I really need a real-time second opinion in the field (which is quite often) I fire up the MapThePaths Android app, which besides doing the job admirably is simple to use, decidedly unslick, a bit nerdy and slightly clunky (I still don’t know how to close it down without going to ‘force stop’ in the phone settings) - all of which appeals to me, as does the fact it is free.
Real maps are lovely things, especially older ones. You can read them like a book. A soldier once told me that only two things really frightened him: a sailor with a rifle and an officer with a map :)

Most map apps will do that eg Osmand or Cartograph. Osmand aint cheap. Cartograph (I have on my Windows phone ) is about £12 on Android and uses Andromaps that show various grades of paths - I use mine to explore the tracks etc in London, of which there are many. The maps for Cartograph are free, you just buy the app
https://www.cartograph.eu/v3/

Not mentioned so far but Maps.me looks very promising using open source offline maps and maps a track where you have been.
I bought the Cartograph app and the maps are great but I can't work out how to show a track of where you have walked just your current location on the map.

Currently using Footpath, but would be interested in others. One useful feature of Footpath is the ability to download a route to your phone so not reliant on a signal. Do all the others mentioned here do the same?

Another useful feature is that it synchronises with my iPad making it a lot easier to draw out routes with pen

Update on Maps.me. This app reports back on your position to its owners frequently. So my data usage went throught the roof. Now removed and not recommended.

Reviving a slightly aged thread - (with all due credit to HUKD) if you have a VPN and are willing to use it, there is an offer for Alltrails+ for a year for under £4, by using Malaysia on the VPN and offer code "GOSUMMER", it costs $5. I've given it a try.

advertisement

Back