advertisement

Why are MC's usually more expensive than MM's?

RoA

pfm Member
As above. I understand diamond/cantilever differences and resulting price inceases and I know there are MM's that cost more than cheap MC's but generally MC's seem more expensive. Is it lower production numbers, better build quality ... Just wondered why.

I've always put it down to the stylus assembly being seperable (at least in principle) from the coils in a MM cartridge.

As above. I understand diamond/cantilever differences and resulting price inceases and I know there are MM's that cost more than cheap MC's but generally MC's seem more expensive. Is it lower production numbers, better build quality ... Just wondered why.

Veblen goods mainly. I posted some prices on another thread recently from an ad picked at random from a 1967 copy of HiFi News:

Ortofon SPU-GTE £25.0.0
Decca Mk III £18.7.6
Shure M55E £17.10.0
Shure V15 £35.0.0

Move further into the 1970s and MMs got ever more exotic and expensive. Move into the ‘80s and the situation reverses. Analogue audio died in the ‘80s IMO. There has been hardly any real development since, just endless marketing. I can see an argument why MCs are expensive as winding coils so small and mounting them on the back of the cantilever is inherently more complex than mounting a little magnet or piece of iron in that position. That said the Veblen goods aspect is very real as there are clearly some people prepared to pay pretty much any imaginable figure for a phono cartridge. If the money is there the product will arrive!

Factor in the numbers sold, too. In the '70s and '80s, vinyl was mostly where it was at. Any number of manufacturers could justify tooling and production for significant numbers of cartridges, whether MM or MC.

Nowadays, MC has become the preserve of 'serious' users; ISTM most inbuilt stages are MM only whereas back in the day, they were switchable MM/MC. MC stages have got better (quieter) but more expensive, so the 'volume' (such as it is) is in MM carts.

Average UK wage in 1967 was around £16 per week - I can't find an exact number.
Average wage now is something around £530 per week.

Magnetic materials have come on enormously since then, and so has micro-manufacturing.

Why? (Had a look at their website)
MM/MI Top Grado Epoch is $12,000

Grado , Decca , SPU , DS optical & Soundsmith strain gauge
much more to life than standard MC cartridges

The Epoch did things I hadn't heard any cartridge do…put on an LP of the right music, sit down…and you're done. It's remarkable.
Stereophile, Michael Fremer

If you have the money and are looking for an amazing cartridge for your record collection, the Grado Epoch is the one.
Steve Hoffman

No real reason, when you inspect how they’re made. Hype is the main reason. You could do equally expensive MMs.

Never charged me .
Decades of knowledge & owns one of the best systems on the planet
Still music 1st. Would love to spend a day looking at his record collection

MM/MI Top Grado Epoch is $12,000

Grado , Decca , SPU , DS optical & Soundsmith strain gauge
much more to life than standard MC cartridges

The Epoch did things I hadn't heard any cartridge do…put on an LP of the right music, sit down…and you're done. It's remarkable.
Stereophile, Michael Fremer

If you have the money and are looking for an amazing cartridge for your record collection, the Grado Epoch is the one.
Steve Hoffman

Like I said, I read the Epoch pitch. I just find it very difficult to see where the $12'000 went.

Perhaps a little unfair. You do get a wooden box with it.

I suspect at least part of the price difference is a result of demand. People who want the ‘best’ are willing to pay lots and the general market message is that MC are the upgrade. Not wanting to get into a MM vs MC debate (I love both).

HI All. From what I understand Moving coils are much more Labour intensive to manufacture.

Because of the way moving coil armatures / coils assy’s are made they are generally hand wound and hand assembled, skilled labour is expensive.

A moving magnet on the other hand is generally made using automated techniques that require little manual input. This also makes it very easy to “scale up” manufacture quantities of Moving magnets.

I remember seeing an article about Ortofon some time ago, the MM production line had a small number of people overseeing the whole production process while the MC production line had individuals hunched over workstations, looking through a microscope and busily working away making the MC cartridges we all aspire to own.

LPSpinner.

The wire on an MM coil is incredibly fine, to get a dc resistance of 500 Ohms still takes 100s of feet.
I suspect a very special machine was used to wind this.
The MCs only have about a foot of wire, so they have gone down the human labour route

I remember seeing an article about Ortofon some time ago, the MM production line had a small number of people overseeing the whole production process while the MC production line had individuals hunched over workstations, looking through a microscope and busily working away making the MC cartridges we all aspire to own.
LPSpinner.

Yeah. The guide at Ortofon, supposedly, challenges every visitor to wind their own MC coil. If they succeed they will get their own complete cart, for free! Hasn't happened yet...

Top Wing Cartridges, the Blue Dragon and the Red Sparrow are MM cartridges. The Red being a low output MM.

The Blue Dragon is $12,500
The Red Sparrow is $16,500

advertisement

Back