advertisement

Replacement TV suggestions

You shouldn't 'like' Gin's post Mike...he used a plural, so might have been including you. (He wasn't because he does love to be rude whenever I post hahahha, so you're safe, but you didn't know that until just now did you :) )

A forum is a place where someone can make a thread asking a question. It's free then for anyone else to contribute, within the rules, as they wish. The OP then takes from those contributions as they wish.

That you cannot see the irony that lies within your reply telling me I am wrong and should get out of the thread, whilst accusing me of being someone 'not used to anyone answering back' only underlines how blind you appear to be to your own personality.

And as to this. I repost it here because it needs reading twice by all posters.

but at the end of the day you write a post declaring one manufacturer the “best” and you did it here of all places. In what parallel universe do you think you were asking for anything other than ridicule. Please get off the thread. You’ve nothing meaningful to offer here.

I did you the credit of reading your first post and making no comment because it was a helpful and detailed answer. I am not surprised but am fed up with your inability to offer a basic level of tolerance and good manners towards those of whom you disapprove here. It's not your place to tell anyone where to post is it? You should spend longer here and read more. You will find 10 examples a day on all subjects of posters suggesting a 'best' solution. You will also note, if you don't start seeing red immediately, that the suggestions is nearly always preceded by words like 'I think' or 'In my opinion'. Just like I wrote. "I still think LG is the best"

It's an opinion. You see? A suggestion of what they think will suit the OP best.

And no, just to be clearer, I will carry right on posting wherever and whenever i like, with the proviso that this stupid argument may soon annoy the mods and prompt them to remove the lot, at no loss to the thread.

That's how the world should be. If ever you climb to your hoped for dictatorship here, I'll be leaving. Now there's a positive end for you.

You’re determined to make this about you aren’t you.

Thanks for mansplaining forums to someone who has run them for around two decades. No help to me but I’m sure it might help someone who has been living offline since about 1992. Appreciated.

For clarity I’ve no issue tolerating people. My issue will only ever be with the contents of their posts. I have zero tolerance of anyone who claims a product is the “best” for reasons that really don’t need explaining on a hi-fi forum. Let’s offer some clarity on other claims shall we.

1 - I didn’t “tell” you where to post. I used the word “please” to suggest that you’ve nothing to contribute here and should perhaps contemplate. I stand by that.

2 - Your fantastically condescending “You should spend longer here and read more” is based on your own assumptions and both hypocritical and lacking in self-awareness. I’ve been here years and read daily. It wouldn’t matter if neither of those were true. Just like you I’m entitled to an opinion and just like you I won’t be “told” what I need to be doing.

3 - When posters suggest a best solution few people will have an issue with that. When posters suggest that the solution is a product then that’s based on something else entirely. A range of products? Of course. A type of product? Absolutely. One specific product above all others? I don’t think so. This is subjective. The positives you suggested for said product were subjective.

4 - Masterful bit of rewriting history going on. You said

“You will also note, if you don't start seeing red immediately, that the suggestions is nearly always preceded by words like 'I think' or 'In my opinion'. Just like I wrote. "I still think LG is the best".

Worth noting that I whilst I challenged you on that I also challenged your use of Which magazine; your statement of multiple opinions about said product as fact when they are plainly not. They are simply your view etc. As I said at the time “Best for whom. Best for what. Best in what context. Best at what price. Best for which specific features.”. All readers will have noted your refusal to address those points instead preferring to try and start a flame war. Thus my refusal to back off from suggesting that your opinion should be ridiculed as without the additional content/context you’re effectively nothing more than a troll, which of course is how you’re now behaving.

I’ve no doubt you’ll want the last word. You’re welcome to it. I’ve made my contribution here but that will likely be lost amongst your sniping.

Hijacking this, are the current (or last) generation Samsung Frames good? SWMBO would like us to replace an ageing (and fairly mediocre) Panny LCD when we re-do our back living room. It will go above a fireplace (with wood-burner) but I've measured temps there when it's roaring away and it doesn't get especially hot.

Thing I like best about the Samsungs is the separate box and the single wire to the TV. It makes installation much easier. We've a non-Frame Samsung in our front room which has been superb, and it has this box/wire arrangement, and I really won't consider a TV without that now.

Plenty of room for a sub above the TV in the corner, you can paint it if required.

Just realised i have four different brands of TV; i usually look around for the best current offer, not much help there!

Thanks Dweezil, that made me laugh. I’ve decided to start off with the basic sound and go in increments from there, rather than spend out on something I may not need.

Many thanks to all who contributed.

John

You shouldn't 'like' Gin's post Mike...he used a plural, so might have been including you
it was both

(He wasn't because he does love to be rude whenever I post hahahha, so you're safe

i have nothing against you, but i do have alot against the self important, and arrogant posting intonation you adopt. in fact the self importance runs so deep you seem to think i dont have better things to do .....sigh.....

Hijacking this, are the current (or last) generation Samsung Frames good? SWMBO would like us to replace an ageing (and fairly mediocre) Panny LCD when we re-do our back living room. It will go above a fireplace (with wood-burner) but I've measured temps there when it's roaring away and it doesn't get especially hot.

Thing I like best about the Samsungs is the separate box and the single wire to the TV. It makes installation much easier. We've a non-Frame Samsung in our front room which has been superb, and it has this box/wire arrangement, and I really won't consider a TV without that now.

Yes. They’re the best!

Joking aside, my friend has a fairly recent one. I think it’s a couple of years old but the picture is excellent. Certainly in comparison with my LG OLED (which really is the very best) it has a bright and vibrant picture but blacks are just a little washed out. He doesn’t worry about image retention either. He usually has it on in the background with the lo-fi girl YouTube channel on.

We've got a couple of early Samsung HDTVs for monitors which have been reliable.

Don't think i dare mention the brand of our bestest TV but it's over a wood burner recessed into the old fireplace with no problems. I put a good solid oak mantel up and a pair of thermocouple fans on the wood burner which might help a bit.

it was both

i have nothing against you, but i do have alot against the self important, and arrogant posting intonation you adopt. in fact the self importance runs so deep you seem to think i dont have better things to do .....sigh.....

My wife says the same thing so you must be right. She thinks all i think about is her too. Sigh.

Thing is i feel and have always felt that when 'one' has taken the trouble for find out things, and checked the findings as best one can, saying 'I think this is true' isn't arrogance is it. It's just trying to help by posting a well researched point.
If that's arrogance then all accepted knowledge, all outspoken educators, are arrogant. If you look through my posts at all you will note I rarely, if ever (as in this case) start any argument. I don't diss other peoples posts (though I will certainly discuss, robustly if need be), but will very rapidly respond to posts such as were made above which in essence said 'your an idiot, wrong and should go away'. I guess Gin that you would quietly agree and run off as told? Not me tho. I am however not responding further to him. Ignore-ance is bliss isn't it.

Hi, just an update for this thread. I had aa LG C2 48” TV delivered today. I love this TV as it’s all I was hoping for (apart from a niggling doubt about the sound quality) The pictures great and the OS is very easy to navigate especially using the cursor. The size is about right I think.
For regular TV I use a 500Gb Humax, although the TV doesn’t support it with a Tuner unlike Freeview I found that I can tuck the Box out of sight and duplicate the guide etc using the LG remote.
Thanks to all for your kind advice.
John

I'm amazed how people get so worked up about TVs . I'm an old buffer in my 70s and have only ever owned 4 of the bloody things in about 50 years. They get replaced when they no longer work, which isn't very often.

Last edited:
I feel the same about Hi-Fi. Owned three TVs in thirty one years. First was Sony CRT and gave out at the fourteen year mark. Second was a Sony 32” inch flat screen. Gave that to the nursery my offspring was in at the time as they needed something bigger. Had a 50” Pioneer Kuro since then.

Another good point, we tend to watch in the evenings from around 8pm for 2-3 hours, slightly longer at weekends. We watch a fair variety of programme excepting the Reality type, plus live NT performances and films but not Marvel type blockbusters. I’ve had a good think about the size and think a 50” is about right. The lead TV after much browsing is the LG C2, The Hisense range offers a good mix and reviews but too many returns for failed units and poor build quality.
Going into the shops is pointless really as the experience is overwhelming and they look very similar. I have found an outlet which will allow items to be replaced if they disappoint so will give them a go. I may give an LG sound bar ago and swap out if it doesn’t suit.
Thanks for the replies.
I’ve got an LG C2, its picture is superb. I work in the industry (subsidiary of Samsung) did loads of research and viewings and chose the C2. I get mates rates on JBL so git a Bar 500 and the sq is awesome. Great pairing, highly recommended. C3 is out so pricing may soften on the C2.

Edit: Noticed you have the C2, enjoy. Dive deep into the pictures setting and turn of all the 'eco' stuff. You'll also need to adjust the gamma settings for best brightness.

Last edited:
I'm amazed how people get so worked up about TVs . I'm an old buffer in my 70s and have only ever owned 4 of the bloody things in about 50 years. They get replaced when they no longer work, which isn't very often.
the older and bufferyer you get, the more you need the BEST pic
IMO :)

Thanks guys, living in the Channel isles does deprive one of the arts, our little Opera House wont open until late 2024 at the earliest and we’ve a Cineworld whose future is dicey. Getting a great picture is fairly important at the moment. The price has already come down so I’m happy with what I paid.
I need to dive into YouTube etc to find out the best setting, cheers Flatpopely.
John

@Jaco Good choice. We have the Philips cousin of this (same panel, but different electronics doing the picture-processing - LG is the leading manufacturer of OLED display panels, and it sells them to Philips among other manufacturers), and are very pleased with it. Same sort of viewing distance as you (3.6 m = around 11-12 feet, I think), and I think anything much bigger than 50 inches would be too much for that distance.

As for settings, turn off everything with "motion" in its description, and you'll be good (if it's like mine, be aware that these settings apply to each source individually, so turning it off for broadcast TV might leave it still turned on for a BluRay player). I find it mildly irritating that these modern sets still insist on trying to convert 24 frames-per-second film material into 120 frames-per-second video - for me this always looks wrong: the that 24fps rate is what gives cinema features their "cinematic" look, and now that you get proper 24fps content from streaming services, it's a shame to have the TV undo it.

I'm sure you updated the software as soon as you set it up, but if not, do that immediately - now that they're expected to be connected to a network, these smart-TVs often leave the factory with quite old firmware on them - often a version that isn't the latest available at the time, so it's worth doing a check for new firmware once you've got it hooked up.

Hi KrisW, thanks for the advice, these smart tv’s seem to have endless options. I wasn’t aware of the Movie settings so cheers for that.
John

Thanks for your suggestion Whaleblue however TV is from the C range not the CS and it’s not available in the 48” size I have.
Cheers John

advertisement

Back