advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Midge Ure at Bath Forum last evening. He we resurrecting (just) Ultravox back catalogue, mostly from the Vienna and Rage in Eden period. I have the albums but can't recall the last time I played them, both Ultravox! and Systems of Romance from the John Foxx era were my favourites and listened to more recently. My wife's idea to go, and I thought it worth the punt.

Overall a good show, but a few dud's where Mr Ure's vocals were a bit iffy. My wife was particularly disappointed with Vienna. Nevertheless Mr Ure seems to have turned into some sort of guitar god, the guitar playing was fantastic, and there was a lot of it, surprisingly!

Cheers

Worth remembering that Midge Ure stepped in for Gary Moore when he walked out of Thin Lizzy in the middle of the US 1979 tour, so he has the chops for sure

Cloth tonight in Liverpool, playing to an audience of 7, but they took it with good humour! They were really good, definitely worth popping out to support them if their current tour winds past you.

Worth remembering that Midge Ure stepped in for Gary Moore when he walked out of Thin Lizzy in the middle of the US 1979 tour, so he has the chops for sure

I always thought that was an odd pairing, in terms of looks.
images

But it did eventually lead us to this:

A lot of people seem to forget that Ultravox featured a lot of guitar. Midge's playing on "Mine for Life" was always a bit of a work-out and I can;t recommend highly enough their BBC Concert from 1980 which is chock full of him sparring with Billy Currie's ARP. Listen to the opener "New Europeans" or "All Stood Still" (16:30)

I saw BC Camplight at lepub in Newport, a tiny 100 capacity venue.
His latest album is a cracker but he interspersed it live with some jokes and stories,an absolute hoot and great evening.
No 1 son bought me a ticket for my birthday but had never heard BC's music. He declared it almost the best gig he has been to. A great evening.

And while you were there I was at the O2 watching a truly superb concert featuring John Fogerty.
Hopefully you enjoyed the Sparks boys as much as I did the CCR main man!

Cheers…..Dave

Reactions: JTC
Thanks Dave. Sparks isn’t totally my thing but my better half is now into them. This was also our first time at the RAH. Great venue, even if it also has a titanic reverberation! Ate a pleasant meal at the Verdi restaurant before, then enjoyed our Royal Circle seats. Very posh for a gig. Sparks played really well, the fans clearly have a huge love for the Brothers. All in all a great experience.

NxWorries at the O2 Birmingham

Sound was so so, performance was fabulous - if one has to be off I'd take this way round

Anderson Paak is one of the most charismatic performers I've seen

And I had the rather interesting experience of being, by about 30 years, the oldest person in the audience. My Daughter, who shares my love of Paak, bought tickets for the two of us and my 18 year old for our birthdays.
Interestingly through the bits of the show where The Knxwldge was dj-ing, at east half of the tunes were from when I was the age of the bulk of the crowd- Shalamar, Patrice Rushent, Oddysey, George Benson - loads of late 70s early 80s soul and funk. And, new to me, he was mixing from video playback while the videos were projecting and being maniplated o a screen. Very cool.

A bit of generation and cultural tourism but thoroughly enjoyable.

Sparks at the RAH too. As a lifelong fan there’s always a danger seeing your heroes when they’re knocking on a bit… but I needn’t have worried. Brilliant gig with so much energy and style, Ron taciturn as ever and Russell’s falsetto still strong, backed by a brilliant band playing tracks that spanned their entire career. What was exceptional was how well the old material slotted in alongside the new (or vice-versa) and sounded just as relevant and exciting. A superb gig.

2 concerts in a week, at the cluny in Newcastle the fantastic March Violets, had a great groove, but no bonbon babies. Thoroughly amazing, fantastic sound. Then Kiss at the arena, big on pyrotechnics and theatrics, some decent songs, not as much fun as I expected, but these big venues just aren’t like the smaller gigs for atmosphere.

Django Django last night at the RFH, as part of Meltdown - absolutely cracking gig, including Daft Punk and Beatles covers.
I'd not seen them live before, so it was really nice to have my expecations exceeded.

Interpol - Munich 15th June 2023

Not so great.

I'm not a huge fan of the latest album, which made up about half of tonight's set list, so off to a bad start.

The rest of the setlist mostly wasn't what I would have picked either, which is disappointing considering their great back-catalogue.

It felt like a low-effort performance, they looked a bit like they were going-through-the-motions.

Maybe it was partially due to the sound quality, which I though was too muddy, too much bass.

Maybe my expectations were too high, but the previous shows have been superb.

advertisement

Back