advertisement

Karousel arrived, should be new?

Howdy

pfm Member
Hi!

I bought what should be new, never used/never installed Karousel.
It came with bearing (housing etc.) and inner platter only (no other bits from kit, springs, nuts etc.).

The inner platter came packed like this:

p.jpeg

And huge amount of bubble wrap.

I am concerned about this:

p.jpeg

Or here:

p.jpeg

Should I worry/bother about this irregularity?

Looks fine. Probably just from rubbing against something though the fabric bag during transit. Try giving the outer rim a good rub round with a dry soft cloth. You'll soon feel any flat should one exist.

No, I knew I was buying only the two parts, actually three, oil was also included.

This is an unused Karousel Bearing & Platter from an unassembled new LP12.
Includes Karousel bearing, inner platter, oil ONLY.
No original packaging

I did imagine that they would pack it better, more presentable, but that's not the issue - the issue is/or isn't the irregularity on inner platter (that could be related to rather unbecoming packaging).

I’m struggling to see what the issue is in the images. If there is a light mark or bright spot and you can’t feel it the belt won’t be able to either. If you think it has taken a knock in transit the thing I’d be testing for was run-out, i.e. mount it, spin it, look for any eccentricity in any plane.

I wouldn’t worry about it. Someone parting out a new lp12. They are worth more as parts. Your bits wouldn’t have the original packaging so if there is a mark or two it’s probably just due to handling.

I’m struggling to see what the issue is in the images. If there is a light mark or bright spot and you can’t feel it the belt won’t be able to either. If you think it has taken a knock in transit the thing I’d be testing for was run-out, i.e. mount it, spin it, look for any eccentricity in any plane.

Should be fine then. No knock in transit would be possible, it was in very generous amount of bubble wrap.

Probably just some dirt transferred from the perforated bag. Packaging wasn't neat, but it seems it was safe.

Thank for the messages. It was still a lot of money for me, so I am easily unsettled or agitated.

Hi!

I bought what should be new, never used/never installed Karousel.
It came with bearing (housing etc.) and inner platter only (no other bits from kit, springs, nuts etc.).

The inner platter came packed like this:

p.jpeg

And huge amount of bubble wrap.

I am concerned about this:

p.jpeg

Or here:

p.jpeg

Should I worry/bother about this irregularity?
Are you able to fit the bearing to your deck?

Are you able to fit the bearing to your deck?

As in "is everything OK with the bearing?"
Or "are you capable of this operation?"

1. Everything looks good, except for some, probably only cosmetic imperfections on the inner platter.
2. I did fit Khan, so bearing should be a bit easier.

Remember there is a precise torque setting for mounting the new bearing. I can’t remember what it is, but it is certainly defined so you should use a torque wrench.

The MicroClick torque wrench MC 15 For 3 to 15Nm

Just get away with it at the low end (maybe not the most accurate part of the range)

...Once set the MicroClick MC15 has an accuracy of ± 4%....

Maybe the Torqueleader Quickset 50 FH ¼” Torque Screwdriver 0.56 – 5.65 Nm

You’ll always have a niggle in the back of your mind that it’s not quite right. I’d return it and get a proper one , fitted professionally by a reputable dealer , with a guarantee.

It’s not worth it for the saving involved.

Installed.

I will report on the existing Karousel thread, let me just say here briefly that I went from WTF (not in a good way), to ...a bit meh..., to enthusiastic
in a couple of hours.

Apparently the thing needs a bit of running in... makes sense in the case of a bearing, I guess. Who would have thought?

Got to go, Edna million in a drop dead suit is calling.

Installed.

I will report on the existing Karousel thread, let me just say here briefly that I went from WTF (not in a good way), to ...a bit meh..., to enthusiastic
in a couple of hours.

Apparently the thing needs a bit of running in... makes sense in the case of a bearing, I guess. Who would have thought?

Howdy I have had my Karousel for a few years and it seems to get better and better with run in.
Its an amazing upgrade and the noise floor is much lower.
Hope yours gives you much pleasure....I am sure you will love it.

Installed.

in a couple of hours.

It does not need running in. Anyone that claims it does has no clue what they’re talking about. Your brain making adjustments is a different matter however….

advertisement

Back