advertisement

Is the Photo Theme a competition?

Rockmeister

pfm Member
looking at recent comments there i'm a bit ?? about why we do it. I post for a bit of fun, because the themes make me think about my snaps and to join in. I think I did 'win' once back a few years but honestly just like to see what we are all thinking.
The idea that I might not enter because there are already some good photos seems to me a bit odd? JTC...I'm looking at you :)

What did I do? :D

I’ve not entered because I’ve been working in Romania this past week and a bit and before that have had a heap of work stuff to do so I barely touched a camera since mid-April. Though I did take the Q2 with me this week, I don’t have any way to post until I am home. Which hopefully should be midnight, despite Frankfurt Airport’s best attempts to thwart my plans!!

But if it helps I just took a photo with my phone and uploaded it. Fragmented is how I feel, after hours of travel and delays!

Oh not the old ‘working in Frankfurt’ story !:)
No sry, just having a mad day. I’m just taking it all too seriously! Someone kill this thread :)

' about why we do it.'

Oh it's so simple - utterly not about 'winning'! Just - one's peer's having an idea, suggesting it as a brief for each of us to think-about, in the pics we might take near-term. I bloody love it - just for that.

& for the Late, much-missed, Cliff P, for championing such, here.

It has nothing to do with 'winning'
It has everything, to with encouraging us all to ... see

I have had a few goes, but I don't consider myself a 'photographer' of any description. If I have a 'half decent' photo, or something in mind that fits the theme, I will have a go. For me, it is about having a go (and, to an extent, making up the numbers if there are few entries).

Having said that, I have (very unexpectedly) won twice, but only with 'snaps' off my phone.

Yes, I think it was started as a way to motivate us all to get out there and look. Look at things from a variety viewpoints asking “does it fit the theme”. An encouragement to *always* carry a camera. I don’t think photography is something you are born good at - it’s a learned skill. I believe even HCB didn’t consider it art. We can debate that view. Still, you do need to develop the skill of seeing.

It’s not about winning.

More akin to this book: The Photographer's Playbook: 307 Assignments and Ideas (@Tony L please add Amazon pfm link)

What did I do? :D

I’ve not entered because I’ve been working in Romania this past week and a bit and before that have had a heap of work stuff to do so I barely touched a camera since mid-April. Though I did take the Q2 with me this week, I don’t have any way to post until I am home. Which hopefully should be midnight, despite Frankfurt Airport’s best attempts to thwart my plans!!
Frankfurt

advertisement

Back