advertisement

Raw chicken, how do you deal with it...?

Bokashi.

It's like Yakult for your compost bin. I grow my own bacteria using rinse water from rice as the starter, you can also buy it as a sawdust.
It doesn't matter what I put in there, it always smells good.

Just eat it, it won’t harm you :cool:

I’m assuming you mean cooked :), yes, I agree, but Mrs trims away lots to ensure no nasty bits, so we’re left with reasonable amount of uncooked chicken.

Not sure which suggestion I’ll do going forward, probably try them all, some very good ideas.

Bokashi.

It's like Yakult for your compost bin. I grow my own bacteria using rinse water from rice as the starter, you can also buy it as a sawdust.
It doesn't matter what I put in there, it always smells good.

Thanks, you learn something new every day.

East Cheshire bins are grey (recycling) and green fortnightly alternating with black, general rubbish.

I've never considered myself as much of an anarchist, but maybe I've just dipped my toe in the water with this whole chicken-gate thing...

fatbergs are a major problem for utility companies because of just this.
Sewers are getting blocked with masses consisting of nappies, condoms, sanitary products, solidified fat and animal remains.
United Utilities advise never to put any food scraps in the sewer system.

https://www.unitedutilities.com/help-and-support/wastewater-services/thinkbeforeyoupour/

Sorry - which bit of a chicken breast needs cutting off?

hell knows, IMHO nothing. This is terrible food waste.

71-A9-EC8-F-89-BE-480-E-8684-C768-F27-BDA0-D.jpg

E9-B0-AB39-1166-44-F0-A747-623331354-ECB.jpg

71-A9-EC8-F-89-BE-480-E-8684-C768-F27-BDA0-D.jpg

Any white bits/tendon/bloody bits that you sometimes get.

(I’m with you lads).

Since there's a chicken thread now, this is an American free range organic young chicken I boned out this week.

I struggle with the facts that a young chicken here weighs 2-2.5kg and the leg meat from thighs and drumsticks is about half of the beast meat. Maybe just a different breed of chicken but it doesn't seem right.
DSC-0848-copy-2201x1238.jpg

Since there's a chicken thread now, this is an American free range organic young chicken I boned out this week.

I struggle with the facts that a young chicken here weighs 2-2.5kg and the leg meat from thighs and drumsticks is about half of the beast meat. Maybe just a different breed of chicken but it doesn't seem right.
DSC-0848-copy-2201x1238.jpg

my long lost twin! i have that same knife and cutting board and tiles!

This thread is all about first world problems. C'mon people, let's get over this.

However...

If you are eating meat, buy from a humane source. The meat will be healthier and will not have any "bits" that you won't want to eat. The animal should also be slaughtered in a humane manner and butchered well. You won't need to wash your meat or be afraid that it will have pathogens.

If you are going to be a carnivore - man up and do it right.

Typical American free range is bred to have large breasts, they might open the shed door but that is usually a little hatch so the chickens "choose" to stay inside and have minimal calorie consuming activity.

Organic implies drug free but treatment is allowed for the frequent infections associated with high stocking densities.

Hopefully you can get your chicken from a local trusted source; the industry has a large and increasing problem with Campylobacter and Salmonella ent.

Good Afternoon All,

Any such scraps are put outside here - something eats it - as to whether that is the badger/ fox or neighbourhood cat I don't know but it disappears.

Regards

Richard

advertisement

Back