advertisement

Lower price noise cancelling headphones- any good?

Canton

pfm Member
I’m looking for a set of over ear, noice cancelling headphones for a friend. She isn’t into sound quality or hi fi, and usually uses cheap wired earbuds from an IPhone. We tried more expensive buds, but they broke or got lost. She does a lot of running with them.
Another friend let her try his Bose over-ears( don’t know the model.) She found them very calming ( this is a good thing!)
Obviously Bose are expensive, even refurbished, and so are the best Sony and Senn. models.
How about the cheaper alternatives? Anyone got any experience? Any good ones?
They wouldn’t necessarily be used for running, and I think from her Bose experience the ANC would have to be good.
Thank you all.

Any overears are unlikely to be any good for running, and wouldn't recommend noise cancelling for that anyway!
If it's for around the house then a sh pair of Bose QC25 could be had for not much, and probably much better quality than a cheap new pair of anything?
They use AAA battery for the noise cancelling so no worries about them not holding charge as they get older. Can be converted to bluetooth with a cheap adaptor too.

If she uses earbuds already, the cheapest, battery-free method is to get a pair of industrial ear defenders, basic Stanley or similar from B&Q or Screwfix, and wear them over the earbuds. No connectivity issues, no possibility of batteries letting you down, etc.

The Anker Soundcore headphone series (Q30, Q35) get good reviews - maybe have a look? They also do in-ears.

For in-ears check out Sony Linkbuds S* (a smaller/more comfortable cheaper version of WF-1000XM4).

*Not to be confused with the Linkbuds (non-S).

JBL do a few, you can pick them up cheap on eBay. 750/760btnc's are great value

Last edited:
Thanks for your input guys. Didn’t realise the bose 25’s were still available. There’s a midrange Sony HP, in John Lewis I think. Anyone tried them? I’ll probably check them out too.

I got some 1MORE Sonoflows for £64 from Amazon (only £14 more than replacement ear pads for my HD650!)
I'm really impressed with the fit, quality, battery life and noise cancelling, best thing i've bought for years.

The Anker Soundcore headphone series (Q30, Q35) get good reviews - maybe have a look? They also do in-ears.
QUOTE]

I have the Q30 and bought for £60 directly from soundcore.

Been excellent so far. Charge off USB and lasts ages. Sound is good but I find the ANC excellent.

She does a lot of running with them.

I do a lot of running at the moment. I would not recommend noise cancelling anything for running as I like to hear what is going on. I am a big fan of bone conducting headphones for running, the sound is not as good but I still enjoy the music, can hear everything or chat to another runner, and they are very secure.

I do a lot of running at the moment. I would not recommend noise cancelling anything for running as I like to hear what is going on. I am a big fan of bone conducting headphones for running, the sound is not as good but I still enjoy the music, can hear everything or chat to another runner, and they are very secure.
Ill give those a look and a listen, thank you.

advertisement

Back