advertisement

Cheap Speakers Used With Expensive Systems

Shane2468

pfm Member
Odd question I know, but here goes!

Have some members on here. Tried cheap/entry level speakers with amps/sources, costing many times the price of the speakers?

At first you have rock bottom expectations. But end up very impressed and scratching heads etc.

If you have stories about mismatch priced systems sounding good. Please share them!

Thanks.

S.

Plugged some Mission 760is into a Chord SPM1200E to show it was working - remarkable results. Clear midrange and excellent vocals, and even some bass appeared.

Guess the amp was on tick-over so minimal distortion or other artefacts whilst the speakers just did as they were told because of the grip.

On several occasions when my 989s were down/away for repair I stuck various cheap speakers on the end of system (Bardo & Lector into MFA Baby Ref V1 > IA MB845SEs/Nord-nc500mb) including Goodmans Maxim2, Warfedale 9.1, kef 104ab, QA 2010, 2020i & 3050.
And yes the results were shocking, I couldn't believe the sound I was getting from speakers that had cost me between £48 & £200. Still have the 104ab in my vintage 2nd system with 401/R200/EEI 555MCP & 80s Cambridge C50/A50 and even there they sound wicked.

I'd rather have expensive speakers with mid-priced amps/source rather than expensive amps/source with cheap speakers.

If you ask me to choose the following:
System A : £20k amp/source with £1k speakers
System B : £10k amp/source with £10k speakers

I'll take B.

Tiny MA speakers used here, instead of 15 inch Tannoys, amazing for the peanuts that they cost. (Can't remember the model, but £100 or so off the Bay - maybe 10 inches tall, by 6 by 6 - MR1, BR1? Something similar for sure if not one of these).

Right now my son is driving his Fyne F502SPs with a Rega IO. I think it is a mistake to equate price with quality. What law states that a pair or speakers and an amplifier of comparable quality should cost the same to make?

I'd rather have expensive speakers with mid-priced amps/source rather than expensive amps/source with cheap speakers.

If you ask me to choose the following:
System A : £20k amp/source with £1k speakers
System B : £10k amp/source with £10k speakers

I'll take B.

Noo source first and all those lies

Monitor Audio 7’s being driven by an Exposure pre-power and fronted by what at the time was the top end Xerxes. Sounded amazing.

Last edited:
I think it is a mistake to equate price with quality.

I tend to agree
Pure logic, things need to be balanced and yet you can be surprised what can happen.
Few are source first, few are speakers first - the average don't think in this jargon.
But there will always be firm believers.

DPA 50s into Mission 753. Surprisingly fabulous. Supposed to be temporary while the children were at finger poking age but are still here as they are going to university.

The speakers and Room interaction are more important. Choose system B

I'd agree room interaction is VERY important but that would be the case whatever system you choose. That doesn't alter the statement you can't amplify what isn't detected.

I really don't understand how people can think buying better speakers is the best way to go - YMMV as they say.

Regards

Richard

Quirk of fate/history/finances - I bought very capable, pretty expensive, speakers well ahead of that being true of everything downstream.

Result - I could easily hear major differences in any change downstream, for better or worse.

I don't think that this is what the OP was about though.

advertisement

Back