advertisement

Russian propagandists asking for an end to Putin

around here about 95% of folks believe in God , with 1.8 billion muslims and 2.6 billion christians rising to 3.3 billion estimated in 2050 you might just be in a minority KS !!

Being in a minority doesn't make you wrong. The fact that most people simply accept the doctrine of the culture they were raised in indicates few have given any real thought to their beliefs.

Gods real name was Stanley Unwin.

"O my Lordly sheepfolder, nothinglode am I lacksley
Makes me sleepybole in meadowlodes
besidemost the evenlodey watermeads.
He refreshleysouls me and guidesly in straightlypaths
Although nightlyboles in darkest deadlyloppers,
yet his pokeystick and sheepyguider are my comfortloaders.

Preparest thou a tablelopper comfeybold
before the peepyballs of my loathey-peoploaders.
Knapper is oiled anointywise
and overflowsie is my cup of tilty-elbow.
Surelymost goodlylode and affectionale are followly all my lifely daysimost,
and dwell in Godly household to lifely evenloder.
Deep joy."

https://cyber-coenobites.blogspot.com/2011/01/new-unwinese-bible.html

I am utterly baffled how any sane person living in a modern democracy can possibly believe in a religious deity. I know some will blame it on family / societal indoctrination but that’s like arguing people should carry on believing in Father Christmas or the tooth fairy.

I would literately have anyone who is so gullible that they insist on such views being true incarcerated or executed as they are a potential danger to society.
Would massively help with the greatest issue facing planet earth which is over population.

I am utterly baffled how any sane person living in a modern democracy can possibly believe in a religious deity. I know some will blame it on family / societal indoctrination but that’s like arguing people should carry on believing in Father Christmas or the tooth fairy.

I would literately have anyone who is so gullible that they insist on such views being true incarcerated or executed as they are a potential danger to society.
Would massively help with the greatest issue facing planet earth which is over population.

A very sane and level headed post, thank you.

Reactions: PsB
Ye Gods!!!!

More intolerance, and worse, than about HiFi - I am shocked. Trully.

I am basically agnostic, but see absolutely no conflict between what science tells us and that being driven by whatever anyone might call a God. Simple example - why could a God not drive evolution, why could that God not have set things up to produce evolution?

Belief does no-one any harm, indeed, if we were all devout Budhists, this world would be a far more incredible, peaceful place than it is. That said, distortion of various belief systems has killed an awful lot of people over the years - no better example than the current ROC within Russia and the Russian FSB puppet, Kirill.

The more that anyone can understand (and tolerate) anyone else, the less they will misunderstand. That does not require belief in what anyone else says or believes.

After years of study I can conclusively conclude that the universe is made of stuff.

https://www.earlymoderntexts.com/assets/pdfs/berkeley1713.pdf

Hyl: In last night’s conversation you were represented as someone who maintains the most extravagant opinion that ever entered into the mind of man, namely that there is no such thing as material substance in the world.

Phil: I seriously believe that there is no such thing as what philosophers call ‘material substance’; but if I were made to see anything absurd or sceptical in this, then I would have the same reason to renounce this belief as I think I have now to reject the contrary opinion.

and so on. It's very good and easy, and thought provoking. I used to teach it to undergraduates in their first term, first year, after they'd read a bit of Descartes.

https://www.earlymoderntexts.com/assets/pdfs/berkeley1713.pdf

Hyl: In last night’s conversation you were represented as someone who maintains the most extravagant opinion that ever entered into the mind of man, namely that there is no such thing as material substance in the world.

Phil: I seriously believe that there is no such thing as what philosophers call ‘material substance’; but if I were made to see anything absurd or sceptical in this, then I would have the same reason to renounce this belief as I think I have now to reject the contrary opinion.

and so on. It's very good and easy, and thought provoking. I used to teach it to undergraduates in their first term, first year, after they'd read a bit of Descartes.
Ta. I will print that off and reading tomorrow

Last edited:

advertisement

Back