advertisement

How do you know when to stop?

I've just posted a comment on another forum, "when you're happy with your system, stop buying mags and going on forums"
I've just ordered on of these to replace my mini pc/monitior/dac, also running Musicbee: Eversolo DMP-A6 - High Performance Media Boxes - futeko.com
but if you are happy using a pc all well and good. My rule of thumb, when upgrading any component you need to spend at least twice the price of the item being replaced to get any worthwhile improvement. Ok, you may find something you prefer the sound of, but it is more of a sidestep than an improvement.

I guess everyone has their own criteria as to "when to stop". To me, it's either you are happy with your system and don't have the urge to change anything, or you have run out of money for any upgrades / money is better spent elsewhere for more important things ie. kid's college etc.

In my case it's a little different. I'm perfectly happy with my system and it's my endgame since it sounds splendid. The system will likely follow me to my grave. Having said that, I sometimes still have the urge of trying something new. It's not so much about replacing anything in the system but adding more clutter to the room. For instance, I am lately thinking about a pair of ProAc Response DB1. I have additional unused pair of speakers and I'm still thinking of adding an additional pair. Perhaps it's madness. The only thing that's holding me back is I don't have any more space for additional gear or speakers. I used to be a gear hoarder but have sold the surplus gear about 2 to 3 years ago, and I'm now left with equipment and speakers which I intend to keep for a very long time if not forever.

I think you just KNOW when you're systems reached its perfect point of balance
It's a sounds to pounds thing for me...
Your happy with the cost against how it sounds

Now I'm not saying this applies to everyone...some people are never happy even when they should be

I've largely stopped after 4 decades of almost incessant box-swapping..... accelerated by joining this forum when Tony started it! Main reasons are: (i) that I am not going to appreciably improve on my speakers given my domestic circumstances (ultra transparent and revealing of minor changes), and (ii) I've tried all manner of amps and now happy with what I've got with the speakers I have, and luckily they both have superb DACs. My new TT is more than good enough for me given the usage it gets and the size of my record collection, although cartridge will obviously be have to be changed at some point. Will look at Puritan mains thingies at some point but not compelled to do so at the moment. However, if I ever move to a more spacious property, then it's game on again!

I think I have got to a level where a change is likely to be expensive and not necessarily successful/fruitful.

Front end is a SME 20/2 with V arm, Nagra PLP pre, Border Patrol P20 PP 300b and LV OBX RWs. Would like to scratch an Electrostatic itch and a Tannoy itch but to be honest suspect would end up moving them on due to the size of my room. The BP isn't going anywhere and although I suspect I could get a better sounding pre I just love the looks and flexibility of the Nagra. I could be tempted with a right price 20/3 or even 30/2 as I already love the SME 20/2. I like the looks of the Brinkmenn and TW turntables but would worry about seeing little or no improvement over the 20/2.

My next real challenge is to either thin my LP's down a little or to move to even bigger Expedit/Kallax shelves.

When you reach this point :D

i-SbQFmNM-X2.jpg

Would like to scratch an Electrostatic itch and a Tannoy itch but to be honest suspect would end up moving them on due to the size of my room.

Don’t view them as the same in any way. Panels need a lot of space on account of being a dipole. Tannoys really don’t and IME are actually far better behaved than most ported stand-mounts or narrow floor-standers when it comes to unwanted booms and honks as the bass isn’t hyped or artificial. It is just bass, no trickery. The classic vintage ones are designed to go against a wall or very close to one too. Even really huge Tannoys can work very well in a small room IME. My Lockwoods are about as big as the fairly conventional box type speaker gets and they are much better behaved in my fairly typical room than say a ProAc Ref 8 Sig or MEG RL904, both of which hit the room node with their bass porting. The Tannoys aperiodic vent is so low in frequency and Q it behaves in a totally different way.

But how do you know when to stop when it comes to hifi? How do you know when you've reached the limit of your room rather than the limit of your kit?

I had a budget of £6k and used 40% on sorting out my room to sound as good as it could within reason then used the remaining 60% to chose well measuring active speakers and a streamer with the functions I desired, no fancy cables or useless hifi trinkets used. My enjoyment of music is relatable to how I am feeling at the moment in time when listening, if my spms is giving me grief then I find it harder to sink into the music, if I’m suitably stoned and relaxed then I can get enjoyment from listening to my tiny Audioengine A2’s playing from the kitchen so my room and system is merely the final few % of bliss.

Don’t view them as the same in any way. Panels need a lot of space on account of being a dipole. Tannoys really don’t and IME are actually far better behaved than most ported stand-mounts or narrow floor-standers when it comes to unwanted booms and honks as the bass isn’t hyped or artificial. It is just bass, no trickery. The classic vintage ones are designed to go against a wall or very close to one too. Even really huge Tannoys can work very well in a small room IME. My Lockwoods are about as big as the fairly conventional box type speaker gets and they are much better behaved in my fairly typical room than say a ProAc Ref 8 Sig or MEG RL904, both of which hit the room node with their bass porting. The Tannoys aperiodic vent is so low in frequency and Q it behaves in a totally different way.

Sadly the way my room is laid out I don't have the space to push up against a wall and they would have to go in a very similar position to the LV's. Hence why the extra width both have would be an issue. Especially as the right hand speaker is on the route out of the room.

Sold my separates a couple of months ago (PMC FB1i, Supernait/Teddycap), took the plunge and used some of my pension cash to buy a pair of Buchardt A700 actives.
Very happy!

I have longingly looked at these and Dutch 8c and do think I will ultimately end up with something like this eventually.

Active speakers seem to me to be one of the few areas that advancements are actually taking place in hifi currently.

Glad you hear you’re enjoying them, a great pension present.

.sjb

I'd point out to the OP that it's far too early to think about stopping.

Rather it's time to start thinking how much your life would be enhanced by a lovely turntable, the tactile pleasure of spinning records, the sonic wonder that is analogue reproduction. Add the pleasure and joy of building up an impressive collection of LPs and you're well on your way to hi-fi nirvana. :)

A friend of mine that is now 75 is listening to his music on a daily basis with his Linn LP12, Nait 1 and Spendor SP1. That was one of his first kit.
Among the big stuff he had along the years (and he had a lot !) are some very large speakers from JBL, vintage Klipsch, various panels, Counterpoint, Bryston, Krell, pure class A and vacuum tubes amps to a point where his basement was full of hi-fi gears.
Maybe he should have stopped with his Linn-Nait-Spendor kit.

When I was much younger I changed systems a fair amount. Then I got my first Linn Naim system, which was kept for about 15 to 20 years. Then I upgraded to better Naim amps and different speakers. Nearly 10 years ago, I downsized to a unitlite and Rega RX3s, due to wanting a remote and easy-to-manage system because of health issues. A few years later I upgraded to a Star. Throughout this I kept my LP12 and changed cartridges as needed, going up and down the price/quality level as money allowed. Covid arrived, some good ex dem bargains were available and as I had already decided that I wanted to get a better system I bought them. Now I pretty much have my final system, 222/300 power supply and 250 (though I haven't changed the DR to an NC250 as yet) Upgraded the LP12 to around Selekt level, still with Dynavector 10X5 and have SCM40s. The 10X works really well with the 222 phono input so will keep it as is until the cartridge needs replacing. Then I will look into phono stages and a better cartridge. Otherwise the system will stay as is I expect. I set myself a budget of what I was prepared to go up to and still have a bit of wriggle room so an ex-dem NPX300 might arrive as a second power supply or maybe I will spend the money at Bandcamp or Resident Records. I now have a great sounding system that works really well in my home, so much so that the TV rarely gets turned on these days. I recognise I am very fortunate and have spent a massive amount in the last few years, but as they say you can't take it with you and we never know what tomorrow will bring so I have invested heavily in daily enjoyment. Plus the kittens like the Star in the bedroom as it gives them somewhere warm (it is in server mode) to snuggle whilst sitting and waiting for me to wake up and give them breakfast.

Basically, I have now realised, to set a budget and stick to it. A better system would be nice but I would rather have the money spent on over things, so this is the level I will remain at unless a premium bond jackpot heads my way, not holding my breath.

Basically, I enjoy changing things too much to ever stop :)

Though I must admit that I’m unlikely to change the Cary Audio DMS- 650 that I’ve just bought anytime soon. It’s superb, though not cheap, even as an ‘entry level’ component.

So many worried, nervous people in this hobby. I never overspend because it's only my hifi so it would be daft to sink an amount of money I would miss into it.
For me the pleasure is half in the music and half in the kit. I enjoy changing things and I've never yet encountered the so called law of diminishing returns.
I really do have fun with my hifi and now have the best sound I've ever had at home. Can't wait to better it.....

If you are focused primarily on the music then it's easy. Problem is most people love playing with gear, so how to stop when that's what drives your interest?

My system stayed largely the same for about 15 years (save for components that needed to be replaced because of age, malfunction). My DBLs lived with me for 20 years for instance and it was time to let them go whilst they still had value (keeping in mind that the drivers are no longer available). A spurt of changes occurred more recently when good second hand deals came up. I seldom look to change or upgrade stuff otherwise. I am in a good place and have been for about 20 years. Meanwhile I've been buying and listening to music like a fiend.

It's not that difficult.

advertisement

Back