advertisement

Are you optimistic about the UK's future?

I do understand the urge to want to be optimistic and to berate those who think otherwise but, and I say this as a pretty optimistic person, there is a point at which optimising ceases to be based on the realities we face. Optimism for some is a psychological buttress. A means to avoid having to face just how bad it is.

Well, I’ve been in Henley today. Pubs and restaurants packed, people everywhere out enjoying the amazing weather. Marquees going up for the Regatta and Festival. Could only be England, fabulous.

We've certainly passed the peak of our time
Yes, I see it this way too. But we are still living in a wonderful era in Europe, things were harder until WWII and they will become harder again in future, no matter who runs our countries. So let's appreciate what we currently have.

life is just a drudge at the coal face and then you end up in a box.
Are you sure ?

I’ve personally worked in the voluntary, union, charity and local authority settings over four decades. Apologies for using the word simplistic again but I think it applies here.
Simplistic, probably, your experience being on a different level to mine, and you knew many of the people personally. Including their stories. But IMO you tend to overcomplicate things in order to justify the way of life of people in need, no matter what choices they make in life. I more or less get your idea, those people deserve dignity like everyone else, but I say there's a limit to everything.
the large screen TV trope was started by the Tories in the late 80s
The case I am talking about hasn't happened in the UK, so it is not the Tories' fault. About the TV set: it was of a size I had never seen anywhere before, not even in a shop. Had you asked me to buy it somewhere, I wouldn't have known what to do. TV can be important to some people, and they deserve to have a good set, but not one at 10 times the usual price while happily expecting the bringer of free food to pay for his fuel.
The TV may have cost £10k but the claimant would be “renting” it for around £5 in 1992.
I have never rented anything in my life apart from my flat, not even leased a car, so I know little about it. I don't know about TV sets, but this reminds me of the guys at the pub boasting about their BMW X5 being 'cheaper' leased than bought. They almost want to make us believe that they got their beemer for peanuts. Leasing (for private users anyway) never comes 'cheap'.
Car situation not dissimilar. Healthy trade in stolen vehicles and you might want to look at he car threads on hi-fi forums before deciding on what is “appropriate”.
A 5-Liter Chevy pickup is not an appropriate vehicle in my town centre, no matter the situation the driver is in. It is just a nuisance for everyone, including the driver himself.
Mobile phones? By 1992 we had GSM and phone prices falling rapidly from four to three figures.
Monthly rates were expensive at the time, especially so if you have 9 of them running simultaneously (for the guy and his wife, so seven lying around for nothing), because you always crave for the latest Nokia or whatever, and don't see any other way than a contract in order to finance it.

I have a friend who, like you, has worked at many social institutions, including state-run ones. To her, her 'clients' are victims in every single case. I mean, my friend is probably in the right place and she does a lot of good things for many people, but IMO taking every bit of personal responsibility away from them is going a step too far.

Simplistic, probably, your experience being on a different level to mine, and you knew many of the people personally. Including their stories. But IMO you tend to overcomplicate things in order to justify the way of life of people in need, no matter what choices they make in life. I more or less get your idea, those people deserve dignity like everyone else, but I say there's a limit to everything.
The case I am talking about hasn't happened in the UK, so it is not the Tories' fault. About the TV set: it was of a size I had never seen anywhere before, not even in a shop. Had you asked me to buy it somewhere, I wouldn't have known what to do. TV can be important to some people, and they deserve to have a good set, but not one at 10 times the usual price while happily expecting the bringer of free food to pay for his fuel.
I have never rented anything in my life apart from my flat, not even leased a car, so I know little about it. I don't know about TV sets, but this reminds me of the guys at the pub boasting about their BMW X5 being 'cheaper' leased than bought. They almost want to make us believe that they got their beemer for peanuts. Leasing (for private users anyway) never comes 'cheap'.
A 5-Liter Chevy pickup is not an appropriate vehicle in my city centre, no matter the situation the driver is in. It is just a nuisance for everyone including the driver himself.
Monthly rates were expensive at the time, especially so if you have 9 of them running simultaneously (for the guy and his wife, so seven lying around for nothing), because you always crave for the latest Nokia or whatever, and don't see any other way than a contract in order to finance it.
I have a friend who, like you, has worked at many social institutions, including state-run ones. To her, her 'clients' are victims in every single case. I mean, my friend is probably in the right place and she does a lot of good things for many people, but IMO taking every bit of personal responsibility away from thee people is going a step too far.
“These people” is the giveaway

becoming less and less true I am afraid. You have to live outside the country for a while and then go back to visit before the reality dawns on you how bad things are in the UK.

To answer the original question, i am not at all optimistic about the UK.
I agree. I was shocked coming into Manchester airport last year. What a dump. And then I tried to get a train to hull. What a nightmare.

Reactions: RoA
Much of densely populated UK is becoming a s hole. Bournemouth and Poole have litter all over the place, bus shelters smashed in and many of the rental scooters/bikes close to pubs/clubs are often vandalised/thrown over after a Friday/Saturday night. Vomit on foot paths is now a normal occurence.

Police have less and less power to deal with scum like that.

More often than not, when returning from abroad I feel this country is going one way only, down.

We are emigrating this year.

It’s amazing anyone lives in Oldham or Burnley given Henley is so nice.

A good friend in Henley is originally from Wigan. He left, worked his ass off and now has a lovely place by the river. That’s the thing in the UK, the right attitude and hard work opens up infinite possibilities.

“These people” is the giveaway

Absolutely this. The phrase is a giveaway every time. The sort of person who cannot understand any lifestyle or life choices bar their own and sees the solutions to the worlds ills as to simply do what they do. Can’t understand for the life of them why other people can’t do that so has to explain it as their personal flaws.

Poverty is like homelessness. It’s a political not individual choice. Both could be ended overnight with the political will but never will be because politicians do love the idea of “personal responsibility” or “blame” as it’s known elsewhere. Remarkably similar to thirteen years of Tories and yet it’s the Labour Party; fraudsters; migrants; experts; the judiciary; the media and everyone else who is to blame.

I love the idea that I’m “over-complicating to justify a way of life‘. Way to go.

I’d much prefer “refuting inaccurate statements by trying to explain how things actually work” but whatever.

My absolute favourite apart from “these people” is the fact that I knew people personally and their stories. Er, no. If you worked for a charity delivering the service described and you didn’t try to understand or listen then you’re essentially someone who looks down on the people you work with and feels like you’ve done them a massive favour for which they should bow down and be grateful. Zero compassion; listening skills or interest.

Happy to start the weekend having outed another one.

advertisement

Back