advertisement

Is the Metropolitan Police institutionally corrupt?

https://twitter.com/normanbrennan/status/1661661631078711296?s=61&t=HnTnfSN9vkoMa_HXQ4yD3Q

Link to a video on Sky, via twitter, re the double fatal etc in Wales. Let’s see what the pfm armchair observes think to this one…;)

Andrew, that Norman Brennan guy is a bit of a worry. Every other post on his account is about how BRITAIN'S STREETS ARE OUT OF CONTROL!!!!

If I followed it I'd be afraid to leave the house. Please tell me he's not representative of how coppers see the world.

This doesn’t just happen in policing. Just look at the NHS.

The difference is that matters are dealt with in nhs - whole units get put into special measures, midwives for example or heart care units. People are prosecuted (Lucy Letby), the whole of mental health nationwide was restructured in the 90s because of abuse - nothing happens with the Police - it's as if abuse and wrongdoing, killing even in certain circumstances, is allowed and not just tolerated.

Nice.

As I say, Ponty doesn’t really consider these dead children to be fully human.

Nice

Of course, had they not been riding illegally and recklessly, the incident wouldn’t have happened. Had they hit and killed a pedestrian, you and others would be blaming the police presumably. To me, this appears akin to a joyriding accident and fault sits squarely with the victims. I’m sorry for the families but the events appear self induced and entirely avoidable.

Andrew, that Norman Brennan guy is a bit of a worry. Every other post on his account is about how BRITAIN'S STREETS ARE OUT OF CONTROL!!!!

If I followed it I'd be afraid to leave the house. Please tell me he's not representative of how coppers see the world.

I don't follow the poster. I thought the Sky video of interest, so posted it. TBF I only played the image with the sound muted. I hadn't heard the commentary associated with it. You can breathe easy.;)

What do you want us to think about it?

Your opinion on it is yours. Up to you what you do with it.

I've been very clear regarding my views of this policing incident, but for transparency and objectivity I'll have another go:

The IOPC investigation will take its course. Some will be happy with that, some will be sceptical. The media will spin/say what they do. Again, that's life. Some people not directly connected with the incident will jump on the back of it and cause disorder. It happens, and did so on this occasion. Investigation impartiality and integrity should outweigh media releases. The Supt said as much during her press interview. The aim should be to ensure the rights of any one involved are protected and supported. I would be prosecuting any disorder offenders in line with CPS charging standards. Trashing an innocent residents property is not acceptable.

It would be interesting to know what community tension indicators were already evident at the location prior to the collision taking place.

A point previously made here is we don't actually know if a pursuit was declared or authorised. The riders will no doubt have been very aware they were riding illegally.

I've been previously investigated for pursuits ending in a crashes. It's no fun. Nor should it be. It's dangerous stuff, and the value of pursuing should be balanced against what is trying to be achieved. TBF I aborted plenty of chases, too. The pursuit policy came in to ensure officers declared they were doing so, and for a dynamic risk assessment to be conducted as to it's viability.

As a supervisor I was very intrusive of my staff when involved in this type of incident, and I know plenty of others that were too. As it should be. Within my sphere of view and reach it was not the norm to brush such complaints under the carpet.

Controversially though that last sentence, and the narrative within it, is somewhat brushed over on here.

Your opinion on it is yours. Up to you what you do with it.

I've been very clear regarding my views of this policing incident, but for transparency and objectivity I'll have another go:

The IOPC investigation will take its course. Some will be happy with that, some will be sceptical. The media will spin/say what they do. Again, that's life. Some people not directly connected with the incident will jump on the back of it and cause disorder. It happens, and did so on this occasion. Investigation impartiality and integrity should outweigh media releases. The Supt said as much during her press interview. The aim should be to ensure the rights of any one involved are protected and supported. I would be prosecuting any disorder offenders in line with CPS charging standards. Trashing an innocent residents property is not acceptable.

It would be interesting to know what community tension indicators were already evident at the location prior to the collision taking place.

A point previously made here is we don't actually know if a pursuit was declared or authorised. The riders will no doubt have been very aware they were riding illegally.

I've been previously investigated for pursuits ending in a crashes. It's no fun. Nor should it be. It's dangerous stuff, and the value of pursuing should be balanced against what is trying to be achieved. TBF I aborted plenty of chases, too. The pursuit policy came in to ensure officers declared they were doing so, and for a dynamic risk assessment to be conducted as to it's viability.

As a supervisor I was very intrusive of my staff when involved in this type of incident, and I know plenty of others that were too. As it should be. Within my sphere of view and reach it was not the norm to brush such complaints under the carpet.

Controversially though that last sentence, and the narrative within it, is somewhat brushed over on here.
I’ve no doubt at all that you dealt with things with integrity and competence. As regards this video though I got the impression you considered as evidence of police innocence and that seemed to suggest a low bar for ruling out wrongdoing or dishonesty. That's certainly how the retired officer you linked to understands it and if that's indicative of typical police attitudes then it does help explain why they so often get away with rule-breaking, lying, and outright malfeasance.

Nice

Of course, had they not been riding illegally and recklessly, the incident wouldn’t have happened. Had they hit and killed a pedestrian, you and others would be blaming the police presumably. To me, this appears akin to a joyriding accident and fault sits squarely with the victims. I’m sorry for the families but the events appear self induced and entirely avoidable.
"They ran out of luck/talent": that's not just callous it's gleeful. And then this hypothetical situation to justify yourself, and to avoid acknowledging the actual situation, which is two dead kids. Self-induced it might be but at a certain level it's not even about where fault lies it's just about basic empathy, and who it gets extended to. Not working class children, in your case, that's very clear.

"They ran out of luck/talent": that's not just callous it's gleeful. And then this hypothetical situation to justify yourself, and to avoid acknowledging the actual situation, which is two dead kids. Self-induced it might be but at a certain level it's not even about where fault lies it's just about basic empathy, and who it gets extended to. Not working class children, in your case, that's very clear.

I don’t need to justify anything. I don’t care who they are, if they behave recklessly and illegally on the public road, potentially endangering others, the consequences sit with them. As I’ve said, I’m sorry for the families. Sorry if that’s not the version of events you are hoping for.

advertisement

Back