advertisement

Hi-Fi News and the LS3/5A

Martyn Miles

pfm Member
I had given up HFN, but in the latest June ‘23 issue there’s an interesting article on the little speaker’s half-century.
So I bought a copy.
Well researched.

I know most of its history and the latest models, but discovered new things.
Like the AudioMaster21 model.
There’s a lot of emphasis on drive units, crossovers and especially cabinets.
Makes me realise why my latest build sounds so good, with new Falcon Acoustics components and new Rogers cabinets.

What is interesting is there are now more than 40 LS3/5A-alikes on the market.
The majority being Chinese copies, presumably.

As a fan, I only own two pairs.
Unlike some Far East Collectors who have up to 30 pairs.

Pretty sure i read a letter from you in hi fi news recently martyn

Pretty sure one of our regular fishies is a columnist in hi fi news

I haven't read a hifi mag in ages. HFN&RR had a few features on the LS3/5A speakers in the past, I believe KK is a big fan

I had given up HFN, but in the latest June ‘23 issue there’s an interesting article on the little speaker’s half-century.
So I bought a copy.
Well researched.

I know most of its history and the latest models, but discovered new things.
Like the AudioMaster21 model.
There’s a lot of emphasis on drive units, crossovers and especially cabinets.
Makes me realise why my latest build sounds so good, with new Falcon Acoustics components and new Rogers cabinets.

What is interesting is there are now more than 40 LS3/5A-alikes on the market.
The majority being Chinese copies, presumably.

As a fan, I only own two pairs.
Unlike some Far East Collectors who have up to 30 pairs.
Thanks for this Martyn.

I still quite like HFN&RR. It seems to have increased its music coverage in the last few years which makes it a good read and I still buy it occasionally. As a long term owner and fan of LS3/5As I will look out for the June copy.

Didn't you used to be a member of the Yahoo LS3/5A user group? I think it's migrated to Facebook now. Talking of collectors owning 30 pairs, I met Jo Ki and some of his friends at a Sevenoaks audio-jumble a few years ago. I lost count of the numbers and variations they had collected between them.

FWIW I have a pair of Spendors and a pair of the later 'alikes', Both pairs sound fine to me. One of the Spendor badges has fallen off its speaker, though.

A friend who, knows I’m interested in old speakers, showed me some pictures of ones owned by her late Father.
She was interested in selling them to help fund funeral costs.
I didn’t expect to see a pair of Spendor LS3/5As next to the little Denon/Mission speakers.
“Are they worth anything ?” she asked.
After I told her that they were worth approx. £1000 in good condition she was amazed.
Evidently her Father was fastidious about his audio equipment.
I agreed to look at them and sell them for her.

I guess the Chinese LS3/5a copies are not BBC licensed and no doubt vary in quality, but I wonder if any of them are any good ?

Chinese hifi is coming on - eg Denafrips DACs

Don’t get me going on Chinese ‘LS3/5As.’
I understand if someone wants something approaching the sound of an LS3/5A, and only has
approx. £400 to spend, then it looks like a bargain.
On the other hand, I understand that the Rogers LS3/5A 65th Anniversary model was 100% Chinese and
sounded excellent.

Don’t get me going on Chinese ‘LS3/5As.’
I understand if someone wants something approaching the sound of an LS3/5A, and only has
approx. £400 to spend, then it looks like a bargain.
On the other hand, I understand that the Rogers LS3/5A 65th Anniversary model was 100% Chinese and
sounded excellent.

Well, that’s a start…

I find it interesting that something that was developed with clear objective goals has gained such a following among subjective oriented audiophiles! They do sound better than they measure.

advertisement

Back