advertisement

Speakers around £3000

Keep your money in your pocket for as long as possible and go and listen to lots of different systems, preferably domestically rather than at dealers, and give yourself chance to discover the sound presentation that suits you.

Its no good asking me as I'll just say horns because that's what I like and what I have - and pretty much everyone recommending anything will be doing much the same, ignore everyone and find your own match.

TBH most people in this hobby can find themselves with money burning a hole in their pocket and buy the first thing that sounds good or better. Inevitably what follows is a long and winding road of swapping and expense.

The other BIG caveat is loudspeakers' dependency on the room. Home dem is essential if making a substantial investment.

£3k can buy a truly end-game loudspeaker used; Quad ESLs, large Tannoys, Klipsch, JBL etc. Buy wisely and it is an investment.
I landed the mint Impulse H2s I've loved & used c 17years & will not sell; and the mint, low-hours, serviced Quad 989s that are my go-to for the last 4years, for less in total - including the van hires etc. Oh, and that'd just include the mint serviced ESl57s I had - then sold on after 3yrs of joy - earlier.

There is some stunning stuff out there - whatever one's taste or desire.

There are lots of good speakers on eBay for less than £3K. However, I have to agree with @James - speakers work with rooms andwe need to think about how far from walls they are, how solid the floor, how reflective and bright the surfaces are, and so on.

For example, I think all these fall into 'conventional wisdom': -
Floorstanding SFs, ATCs and Spendors will typically want more space around them than most Neats (and I am a big fan of recent Neats) to be at their best.
Downward firing speakers will probably be happier on wood than a shag pile.
Naim SL2s and Tannoys are very different, but both work well against a back wall.

Talking to loal dealers about ex-dem speakers that might well suit and that you/ they can try in your actual room may be the most reliable way forward.

We don't know what the power output and damping factor of your amps are. Amps and speakers need a synergy. Also size of room is important.

They sound good with any music IME, well the ones I've owned anyway, though like any quality speaker the better the signal the better they'll perform.
I listen to a fair bit of indie, pop, rock, grunge, electronic and like the OP a fan of Natalie Merchant, the SF speakers I've owned have all always excelled in the midrange, whether that's voices, brass, guitars, etc, of course this is just IMHO but it'd be fair to say I'm a fan of the 90's and 00's Serblin designed speakers in general.
Plus one for early SF speakers. I am lucky enough to own some original guarneri. Vocals - especially female - are incredible. They handle other music perfectly well within their bass limitation's

Plus one for early SF speakers. I am lucky enough to own some original guarneri. Vocals - especially female - are incredible. They handle other music perfectly well within their bass limitation's

Add a quality sub or two and spend a bit of time on dialling in and positioning and there's no limitations IME.

advertisement

Back