advertisement

Musical Fidelity LS3/5A

The LS5/9 - Made in Europe.
The Musical Fidelity LS5/9 is a two-way bass reflex speaker which was designed to reproduce sound at high levels to fulfil the complete range of music genres from classical to pop music.
Perfect combination with bigger Musical Fidelity amplifiers like the M5si, M6si, M6si500

As the speaker was originally designed for recording studio applications, a low level of coloration was the goal to keep the musicitself untouched.

MF-LS5-9A.jpg

3_LS5-9_rear.png

They will, presumably, join Graham Audio & Rogers who are also making
the LS5/9.
You never know what’s going to happen next in the loudspeaker world...

Admittedly this is literally not my business, but I can't really understand why anyone would consider the MF over the heritage of Falcon. Unless MF have lots of brand loyal customers who want an LS/35a.

Whatever, it's a commercial decision and perhaps manufacturing these with bought in parts can be done st low cost in high volume.

I have been doing some detective work and haven’t got anywhere on where they are manufactured.

Two Musical Fidelity agents/stockists were also contacted, but no reply.

Do these things need to be licensed by the BBC or can anyone bang out a small speaker and call it an LS3/5a?

Its getting to the point of being pretty meaningless to my mind. The LS3/5A was a very rigid BBC standard. Rigid to the extent pair matching wasn’t needed, e.g. if one of a pair of Rogers broke they could just go and get a Spendor out of storage and it would be fine. We are now at the stage where speakers with radically different drivers and crossover networks are wearing the badge and I suspect the BBC will allow licensing of pretty much anyone who pays them. To my mind the Falcons and possibly the Rogers are likely the only LS3/5As on the market. That’s not to say many of the others (Stirling, Graham etc) aren’t stunningly good little speakers, maybe even better, but to my mind an LS3/5A is a selected B110, a T27 and a very specific crossover network in a remarkably tightly defined cabinet. Change anything and it isn’t to that BBC spec, a spec that covers both measurement and construction.

Do these things need to be licensed by the BBC or can anyone bang out a small speaker and call it an LS3/5a?

Originally, all BBC approved franchises had a single master speaker, supplied by the BBC. All manufactured speakers had to match that one's spec. When Kingswood Warren still existed, engineers could (and did) turn up at franchises without warning to randomly check production samples against the master. Those staff (and Kingswood Warren) have long gone.
Since those heady days, which finished last century, all the BBC have done is take money for the right to use the BBC and LS3/5a names. Purely commercial. Absolutely no checking whatsoever.There is a clause in the licence that says, if you bring the BBC name into disrepute, by producing shoddy items, they can withdraw the licence. There is no need (or certainly wasn't when I was involved) to submit items for approval.

Musical Fidelity will show its new LS3/5A and LS5/9 loudspeakers alongside a “high voltage device” at High End Munich 2023 this week.

High Voltage could this be Active versions with built in MF amps

I have been doing some detective work and haven’t got anywhere on where they are manufactured.

Two Musical Fidelity agents/stockists were also contacted, but no reply.

I have re-contacted MF again to see if they come forward with any information.
Watch this space...

advertisement

Back