advertisement

HMRC and also being co-opted onto the Parish Council.

In the less awkward news, I shall be co-opted onto the Parish Council at the next meeting. There are a number of Parish matters which I know about that I can bring forward, such an overgrown main road footpath where the hedge has gradually taken over the path because it has not been adequately trimmed over many years and it being right on the A44 makes it dangerous for the many pedestrians who use it. Yet it takes someone to raise it ...

It could be useful work and the other members were all welcoming, and being active in the meeting. Issues like co-ordinating bus services, and potential for new mini bus systems for the villages that don't currently have any service at all, and so on.

Also blessedly free of party politics with greens and independents simply making sensible points and agreeing, rather than being political. I am not an enthusiast for party politics, and will support the best interest of the parishioners what ever the policy might be called in party terms. I could never occupy any public office that required me to follow a party line through the "whip," or be lobbied by people whose interests were different from the people affected by subsequent decisions ...

Only six meetings a year, and in the evening, so no loss of working time caused.

The self-assessment papers have arrived from HMRC. Very fast turn-around ...

I gave my zero hours contract employer a copy of the letter HMC sent me, and he said that he would pass it onto his accountant, so that will be resolved without me having to do any more myself, beyond filing my self-assessment. It is a blunder over the employee reference number ...

Best wishes from George

George, based on my own experience as a Parish Councillor and Chairman, I'd say go for it.
I stood as a Labour Councillor because it best represented my instincts, but in reality, Parish issues usually fall into the many relatively mundane areas such as those you outlined above. They are not exciting, but they are important.
That said, during my tenure we also fought off a school closure, attempted by our Labour District Council ....and an opencast coal mining application from a Private company. The only heated arguments I got into were when Labour District Councillors tried to bully me. I politely reminded them that my constituency was ALL of the voters
of my Parish.
Naturally I was deselected by the local Labour mob after one term..But I sleep nights.
In our last election, there was a 'coup' enacted by several 'independent' 'independents', and a group of 'Independents'. The group were all relatives with an axe to grind and all election expenses paid by their leader, whilst the others comprised a far right loony previously rejected on both Ukip and Britain First tickets, but elected as 'independent',and another revealed to be a racist and misogynist.
Have fun!!

advertisement

Back