advertisement

Addis pads - probably the greatest single upgrade ever…in the world!

And I can't see what the 8 outer stacks do, apart from stopping the middle stack falling over. Money to burn, obviously.

No, silly. This is the Roman Legion or Rubik disposition simulating just nine levels of virtual larger discs for added stability and one normal sized combo on top

I've done the sums and you can get thirty 3x3 'square' sets per pad; like the arrangement I've got under my 1210GR. That's enough to lift a box or speaker up to phase 8 using seven square sets per stack plus a single pad+bumper combo on top.

I'm gonna drop my 1210GR down to phase 8 as per and see how that goes. And I'm gonna buy two more mats and lift my speakers up to phase 8 as well using the 3x3 square set method.

Have just tried Addis pads, didn’t work for me. However, there is a new product in town! What you need is this:

IMG-2343.png

Have just tried Addis pads, didn’t work for me. However, there is a new product in town! What you need is this:

IMG-2343.png

The pads work best when used with bumpers, and work better when there's no carpet in place.

Still, you'll get benefits from the combo by placing them under your equipment, especially electromechanical equipment.

If you've sticking with that stuff then fair dos, no complaints from me.

The phase 10 stack beneath my 1210GR, comprising 82 pads + 1 bumper :)

52894749474_fd0181505a_c.jpg
I've done the sums and you can get thirty 3x3 'square' sets per pad; like the arrangement I've got under my 1210GR. That's enough to lift a box or speaker up to phase 8 using seven square sets per stack plus a single pad+bumper combo on top.

I'm gonna drop my 1210GR down to phase 8 as per and see how that goes. And I'm gonna buy two more mats and lift my speakers up to phase 8 as well using the 3x3 square set method.

With my 3x3 square 4 deep Ad pads the amplifier feet sit on all of them, likewise the 4x4 squares all very stable, on yours does that center pin come out, or could you remove 7 or 8 Ad pads from the center so that the circular "foot" sits on the outer square of Ad pads? certainly worth a try, to replace the inner Ad pads leave bottom intact then contact adhesive then another 3x3 glued on top.

With my 3x3 square 4 deep Ad pads the amplifier feet sit on all of them, likewise the 4x4 squares all very stable, on yours does that center pin come out, or could you remove 7 or 8 Ad pads from the center so that the circular "foot" sits on the outer square of Ad pads? certainly worth a try, to replace the inner Ad pads leave bottom intact then contact adhesive then another 3x3 glued on top.

Yeah I've left the 3x3 layers fully intact but for wide feet I suppose you could remove the central column. As with anything to do with these pads and bumpers, we're still figuring out what's possible and what works best, so why not.

As an alternative solution I tried different denominations of coins with bumpers instead of Addis pads under my dac.
1 pence pieces were on a par with the Addis pads. Plus more stable if you stack them.
Probably something to do with minimising the mass.
In true Scottish thriftiness, it will save you a couple of quid.
This could go on ad infinitum.

Well I just had to pop to Wickes, and what was next door? Yes, B&M. I tried to resist the urge, but the promise of potential audio nirvana within that drab and faceless unit drew me in. Imagine my amazement to find the sink mats fully stocked? Almost as if they'd hurriedly refilled the shelf after selling out yet again. But what's this? Choice!! Clear, grey, or grey with holes in. OMG, I'd missed that somewhere in this thread. The sweats set in, but I distinctly remembered seeing the dark ones on here, so decision made. A knowing glance from the checkout woman, and I have audiophilia nervosa at my fingertips. TBC.

Nice one, your nerves will disappear after the first notes assuming you bought enough mats to tide you over ..ñ…..

Hope you've got some Diall bumpers at home to complete the combo. You might not need the bumpers, but they helped my speakers.

You can also put the pads under your equipment as well :)

Hope you've got some Diall bumpers at home to complete the combo. You might not need the bumpers, but they helped my speakers.

You can also put the pads under your equipment as well :)
Well, funny you mention that, I'll be doing a shop at Aldi tomorrow night, which just happens to be next door to B&Q... ;)

I posted in the mana madness thread yesterday about using the combo in my bedroom system and now that I've now had a good chance to do some listening, I'm pleased to say the results are in... and they're positive.

My bedroom speakers are a pair of Kralk Audio BC-30s (bass-lite, high-boogie speakers that are quite similar to Kans, but just not as squawky) and they're mounted onto a plasterboard wall via a pair of Sound Organisation brackets. The wall is a problem in that it resonates when the speakers go deep (okay, phantom deep), which means the bedroom system can sound thin or boomy. Sometimes it sounds just right but it's never had a good balance because of the wall.

I'd tried sitting the speakers on the supplied spikes and I'd even tried placing a small sheet of glass between spikes and speakers (with bumpers between speakers and glass) but it never quite did the trick. After doing some listening and some shifting, I've now removed the spikes and simply placed a stack of two pads with a bumper on top between brackets and speakers (4 stacks per speaker) and it sounds great. The combo does all the stuff I'd expected (cleaner, more detailed and more defined bass) but it's also managed to give me the balance I've been looking for regarding bass and keeping the wall under control. All the music I played on my Bluesound Node just sounded bang on as far as phantom bass goes. In saying that, when I played some records on my LP12, some of the beefier tracks did in fact energise the wall: to a degree Morph the Cat, for example. But it's much better than before.

I'm planning on getting rid of the IKEA Besta unit my LP12 and other equipment sit on and we'll see if that helps things as that unit is sort of stable but most definitely not solid!

EDIT: I forgot to say what the takeaway message is: if you've got speakers on Sound Org brackets the combo works in that situation as well. Ditch the spikes!

Last edited:
I went full blown under everything , and I have to say it wrecked the sound ,I left it under two items ,my speakers and my cds11 transport (metal feet interface to glass).
I seem particularly sensitive to picking up smearing of sound which is what full blown did in my case ,but there is merit in some use .

I went full blown under everything , and I have to say it wrecked the sound ,I left it under two items ,my speakers and my cds11 transport (metal feet interface to glass).
I seem particularly sensitive to picking up smearing of sound which is what full blown did in my case ,but there is merit in some use .

I tried having my Tannoys on stacks of 7 pads with bumpers on top but it was just too much. Too much of the visceral experience was lost and the end result just sounded too soft, too damped. Two or three pads with bumpers on top might be about as far as I'm willing to go with my speakers. Although I'm happy to have everything else on the combo I appreciate that might not work out so well in other situations so well done on figuring out what works for you :)

advertisement

Back