advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer VII

As Anas Sarwar goes over the top from the Labour Scotlandshire trenches when the whistle blows for the GE, his greatest risk is being shot in the back by a party leader who not only colluded with the Tory govt to strike down legislation Sarwar himself voted for but who will force Labour candidates to explain to the public that Labour would not offer:

Free university education
Free prescriptions
Higher child benefit
Higher pay offers to NHS and public service workers
Trans rights
Higher tax on the wealthiest in society
A ban on no fault evictions by private landlords

that we currently only enjoy by not voting Tory and not voting Labour and then giving us the rubber ear on Brexit that we never voted for and which has wrecked our exporting businesses.

There are many reasons why political journalists consistently serve up vapid and misleading analysis of Starmer’s Labour, but you often don’t need to look much further than naked self-interest:

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1657687841420242944?s=46&t=MNUZ63yrgDvorhewXKVM1w

What a stitch up the British public sphere is, a conspiracy against the public perpetrated by self-serving, out of touch mediocrities.

Cute feature here:

https://www.politico.eu/article/britain-united-kingdom-political-power-couples-2023-ranking/

We need something like ‘stop funding hate’ but for shadowy political funding. So long as the present arrangements suit the interests of those bodies, change is unlikely. We need to find out who those interests are, and start to dismantle their business model by progressively reducing demand for what they do.

LINO=Labour In Name Only.

The problem I have with that article is the place Starmer is coming from: a boring man in a grey suit, preserving the past, afraid of change, keeping to the old status quo. The problem I have with it is I see nothing there to encourage young people to get engaged with politics and go out to vote in large numbers, to catalyse a change for the better. The values of young people are so much more progresive on the whole, and I think they feel that UK politics now is so far removed from their mindset that they just don't bother, as the whole circus is just a big turn-off.

And that is a tragedy.
So nothing really wrong with what Starmer says, just complaints he isn't saying exactly what you want to hear.

Labour is the only party that can replace the tories.

Not true. Any non-Tory marginal seat has the potential to return a non-Labour MP and would result in a more democratic and progressive hung parliament. The only place I’d ever vote Labour was in a Lab/Tory marginal. Every other scenario I’d vote tactically for the other progressive, or in a un-winnable safe seat just vote on conscience as that vote is irrelevant. Most seats are actually in the latter category (around 59% according to Wikipedia).

I know you are just trolling/sealioning for repetitive tribal effect, but as I understand it Droodzilla lives in a Lab/LD marginal. Basically it doesn’t matter what he does, though I’d personally vote tactically for whatever progressive had the best chance against Labour. No vote will result in Tories, but it would help reduce the power of the truly awful Starmer. I’d vote LD there as, assuming they won, that is another voice in the house for PR, human rights, reversing the Brexit catastrophe etc.

Where I live people will quite literally vote for a sex-texting expenses-fiddling conspiracy theorist with a red rosette (or did before he was removed from the Labour party). As such my vote is a total waste of my time/an insult to my intelligence. I can only be counted on the national vote share as my vote will never ever get me representation here, so I’ll use it to help save the Green deposit and be counted as someone supporting a progressive PR-supporting pro-EU party.
No, you don't know and that's because I'm not trolling...what I post is my honest pov which you happen to disagree with. That's not trolling, it's just a different opinion, something I believe should be an acceptable thing without name-calling and labelling but it's how it's gone since 2016 given the attitude of the minority who refuse to accept the result of the 2016 referendum. Again, read the definition of sealioning posted earlier. The brexit thread and this one is full of it but not from me.

There is no pro-PR party and what you're saying now about the Greens being progressive is what you were previously firm about regarding the LibDems and we know what they're really like. They do not stand for PR, they are a right wing party not far from the tories.

If someone lives in a Lab/Lib marginal how does it not matter how they vote? Not voting Labour where they could win a seat is helping the tories.

Where I live has never been anything other than tory but I won't waste a vote on the Greens even though Labour has no chance. I would love to see the tory removed in 2024 but it won't happen. LibDems...laughable. A dishonest bunch who say the opposite of what they actually do.

Last edited:
Not true. Any non-Tory marginal seat has the potential to return a non-Labour MP and would result in a more democratic and progressive hung parliament. The only place I’d ever vote Labour was in a Lab/Tory marginal. Every other scenario I’d vote tactically for the other progressive, or in a un-winnable safe seat just vote on conscience as that vote is irrelevant. Most seats are actually in the latter category (around 59% according to Wikipedia).
We had a hung parliament in 2010 and that didn't work out well.

Labour definitely is the only party that can replace the tories. We need to start reversing the mess somewhere and that is it.

So nothing really wrong with what Starmer says, just complaints he isn't saying exactly what you want to hear.

Not just me Brian. Lots of people. I suspect this is a big factor in the low voter turnout in local and general elections.

Not just me Brian. Lots of people. I suspect this is a big factor in the low voter turnout in local and general elections.
What I'm bothered about is the tories losing the next GE. I don't disagree that young people are alienated by politicians but that is a different subject.

This is a positive thing but no doubt the anti-Starmer and anti-Labour group will find something to complain about.

Labour considers extending voting rights to EU citizens

Labour is considering extending voting rights to some EU citizens living in the UK if the party wins the next general election.

The party is working on a package of proposals, including votes for some EU nationals and 16 and 17-year-olds in general elections.

The Conservative Party said Labour's plan to give foreign nationals the vote at parliamentary elections "is laying the groundwork to drag the UK back into the EU by stealth".

Source: BBC

Sir Keir has ruled out *any coalitions* but his party is already in one - with the ****ing Tories in my city. He’s had more U turns than CallMeDave and Treeza May combined, he’s obviously a man the voters can trust to keep to his word.

During his leadership campaign three years ago the Labour leader promised to give all EU citizens with “settled status” in the UK a vote in general elections, in a bid to woo the party’s Remain-supporting membership.
The Sunday Telegraph reported that the full pledge would be in Labour’s manifesto ahead of next year’s general election, prompting anger from Conservatives MPs who accused Labour of “gerrymandering”.

But Starmer’s allies on Sunday said the claim was “wildly overdone” and that the policy would not apply to all EU nationals.
Instead, Europeans living in the UK would only be allowed to vote if they had paid tax in Britain for a number of years, said officials, adding that the details of the policy were still being worked out.

https://www.ft.com/content/d18fff3f-d396-43c1-bffa-43aee03a6477

During his leadership campaign three years ago the Labour leader promised to give all EU citizens with “settled status” in the UK a vote in general elections, in a bid to woo the party’s Remain-supporting membership.
The Sunday Telegraph reported that the full pledge would be in Labour’s manifesto ahead of next year’s general election, prompting anger from Conservatives MPs who accused Labour of “gerrymandering”.

But Starmer’s allies on Sunday said the claim was “wildly overdone” and that the policy would not apply to all EU nationals.
Instead, Europeans living in the UK would only be allowed to vote if they had paid tax in Britain for a number of years, said officials, adding that the details of the policy were still being worked out.

https://www.ft.com/content/d18fff3f-d396-43c1-bffa-43aee03a6477
Thanks, saved me the effort.

Looks like a balls-up on the comms front as this policy didn't even last for 24 hours.

advertisement

Back