advertisement

Should the threads on the same broad theme that go endlessly round in circles be merged?

Should the threads on the same broad theme that go endlessly round in circles be merged?

• Yes

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • No

Votes: 26 78.8%

• Total voters

lawrence001

Basic Member
Should the hundred or so threads on the same broad theme that go endlessly round in circles be merged into one super duper thread that goes round endlessly in circles?

I mean the ones on Capitalism, Neoliberalism, Right Wing politics, the Royal family, Brexit, Tories, Nicola Sturgeon, Kier Starmer, the Labour party, NHS, strikes, immigration, the Brecon beacons, etc

Question is intended for the members who start said threads.

When I started going on forums a friend told me a strategy for dealing with exactly this sort of thing, it was so cunningly simple I didn’t know why I hadn’t thought of it. Don’t look at threads you’re not interested in.
Yes but the problem is the human psyche. One is naturally drawn to the threads that you know will wind you up. I believe it's what clickbait is based on.

Would like to see a few different types of threads... Like, UK is still a pretty good place to live in.... Like, let's concentrate on the victims of crime.. Etc

Yes but the problem is the human psyche. One is naturally drawn to the threads that you know will wind you up. I believe it's what clickbait is based on.
I just pop the person who started the thread on my ignore list for a week or two. You dont have to look at the thread ever again, as long as you are logged in.
I also do the same with members who tend to drop 'clever' comments into mine and other threads. It really has chilled PFM out for me. I dont worry about missing anything of value and it allows me to better enjoy the contributions of the majority.

I just pop the person who started the thread on my ignore list for a week or two. You dont have to look at the thread ever again, as long as you are logged in.
I also do the same with members who tend to drop 'clever' comments into mine and other threads. It really has chilled PFM out for me. I dont worry about missing anything of value and it allows me to better enjoy the contributions of the majority.
Does ignoring the person who starts the thread remove the thread from the "New posts" list? That's genius if it works and would solve my problem. I could randomly select one of the threads to keep, and just reading that would still give me 99.9% of the content.

maybe or maybe not

I treat those threads like going down my local.....you see the same people, drinking the same beer, sitting in the same seat, droning on and on and on about the same subject with no impact on anyone or anything... .

in the wider scheme of life, they are meaningless threads.

maybe or maybe not

I treat those threads like going down my local.....you see the same people, drinking the same beer, sitting in the same seat, droning on and on and on about the same subject with no impact on anyone or anything... .

in the wider scheme of life, they are meaningless threads.

Is that not the general point of forums? 99.9% cud chewing with just the occasional gem or pearl of wisdom that you may feel moved or motivated by?

advertisement

Back