advertisement

Addis pads - probably the greatest single upgrade ever…in the world!

I've put some pads and bumpers in my shoes in place of the old insoles. I've had a few people comment on how authoritative and melodious my voice has become, and only this week I was invited into the board room to discuss the possibility of being promoted to director. In addition, the very attractive 30-something marketing manager has asked me whether I ever go for a drink after work, and my wife has commented that my performance in the bedroom is second to none and she's sure that there has been a recent improvement. I won't be going back to insoles anytime soon!
So would you say they’ve added a spring to your step?

Too much talking in this thread, all those useless words, so I just had to order :)
Problem is it's 8UKP for the pads + 22UKP for shipping to this forsaken place, due to arrive in two weeks.

I have only just looked at this thread. Why did I do that?:oops:
Anyway, I went to B&M and got the Addis pads; they are translucent grey, is that right? And the 8mm Dial bumpers from B&Q, 2 packs (no expense spared!).
Where and how to use them is now the question. My main speakers, Tannoy MG12s, weigh ~70kg and are on a solid oak floor glued to solid concrete. I had them on Townshend type sprung feet, now on flat bottomed screwed feet, and there was little change in the sound. In the loft system, one pair are on inner tube platforms and the other pair are on sand filled steel stands. They would be easier to change. The two TTs are on ebony and Delrin footers, the integrated amp weighs nearly 40kg.
I need to build up some muscle! :D

I reckon if you have a lot of weight to deal with @awkwardbydesign (speakers that is ;)) you could place several (eight, ten maybe) under each speaker. @windhoek has I believe 4 with 20kg on top so you'd need at least 10 as I reckon 70kg on four would just crush them. Either that or get bigger bumpers. You can get them up to about 18-20mm diameter.

I reckon if you have a lot of weight to deal with @awkwardbydesign (speakers that is ;)) you could place several (eight, ten maybe) under each speaker. @windhoek has I believe 4 with 20kg on top so you'd need at least 10 as I reckon 70kg on four would just crush them. Either that or get bigger bumpers. You can get them up to about 18-20mm diameter.

Agree. I am using 10mm flat bumpers as my speakers are heavier. So a few options!

I have only just looked at this thread. Why did I do that?:oops:
Anyway, I went to B&M and got the Addis pads; they are translucent grey, is that right? And the 8mm Dial bumpers from B&Q, 2 packs (no expense spared!).
Where and how to use them is now the question. My main speakers, Tannoy MG12s, weigh ~70kg and are on a solid oak floor glued to solid concrete. I had them on Townshend type sprung feet, now on flat bottomed screwed feet, and there was little change in the sound. In the loft system, one pair are on inner tube platforms and the other pair are on sand filled steel stands. They would be easier to change. The two TTs are on ebony and Delrin footers, the integrated amp weighs nearly 40kg.
I need to build up some muscle! :D

You've got choices!

The speakers in the loft is where I would start. Assuming the stands are connected to the floor via spikes, I'd take 8 pads and 8 bumpers, affix the bumpers to the pads and then place the combo between the top of the stands and the bottom of the speakers, ensuring that no other interface is present. No harm in doing likewise with the speakers that are on inner tubes and boards, although how that change will go is hard to say.

If you can remove the ebony and deltron feet and insert the combo beneath your TTs instead you should get some magic there also as electromechanical equipment benefits quite a bit as well; not as much as speakers, I don't think, but you should hear some good gains all the same. Whether you'd want to do all this at once is up to you. Fwiw, I've inserted M6 bolts (and nuts) beneath my 1210GR to enable me to remove the stock feet while still maintaining the requisite clearance underneath. Dunno what your decks are but this might be an option.

As noted, my speakers are 40kg and the combo seems to be fine with that load across 4 pads+bumpers so you should be able to get the como beneath your amp as well; albeit, getting the stock feet off might be easier said than done. If that's too much of a faff you can always place a pad beneath each foot and leave it at that.

As for your MGs, you could always affix 2 or 3 bumpers per pad, and maybe double up pads as well to accommodate the load: 2 pads stacked with 2 or 3 bumpers affixed to the top pad. As Jez says, you could always buy the 10mm round bumpers, but either way, you've got choices. As with the amp, it might be tricky to tilt your speakers back (or to the side) a little to get them under, but with speakers like that, the results could be bloody phenomenal!

EDIT: my mistake, as noted my Legacy Eatons weigh 20kg each.

As with the amp, it might be tricky to tilt your speakers back (or to the side) a little to get them under,!
I use 4 of these.
fad6e5aaf0e105c906b5bbf0111bfd90b0d2f6f5.jpg

advertisement

Back