advertisement

HMV's return

I have great memories of that store, bought loads there including most of my classical vinyl when they were virtually giving it away.

I still can’t get my head around how expensive vinyl is currently. Especially so in HMV (& Fopp). Prices on a lot of their stuff is much higher than elsewhere.

Surely economies of scale should have a downward pressure on prices, seems to be the reverse.

I can never work out which one was the 'flagship' store. Was it the one by Bond St underground or the huuuuge place between Oxford Circus & TCR?

The one I’m thinking of is definitely the huge one on the left between OC & TCR. That was a very good shop. I suspect they’d really struggle to fill that vast space with physical media of any kind these days, so its likely the other one!

Cassette in Fopp (read HMV) check the price!!

Note I paid £31 for this De La Soul reissue from a local record store, currently £28.78 on Amazon. They are having a laugh at £38.

FFC41909-2204-4EDB-BBC5-BBED9B9F3732.jpeg

The one I’m thinking of is definitely the huge one on the left between OC & TCR. That was a very good shop. I suspect they’d really struggle to fill that vast space with physical media of any kind these days, so its likely the other one!
I'm not to sure about that. Our local in Chelmsford stocks CD's, DVD's, Blu-ray, Vinyl, books, T-shirts, Posters, Mugs, some memorabilia stuff & has a section for hardware like headphones, turntables, ear buds etc & probably a few other things I can't bring to mind. This is not the hugest HMV store but with more space & a bit more of everything could easily fill something larger.

Cassette in Fopp (read HMV) check the price!!

Note I paid £31 for this De La Soul reissue from a local record store, currently £28.78 on Amazon. They are having a laugh at £38.

FFC41909-2204-4EDB-BBC5-BBED9B9F3732.jpeg

That's weird - I thought the point of Fopp was that it's dirt cheap, the home of the £5 CD? I guess it's changed under HMV's ownership.

I've not been in one for yonks just because the jazz vinyl tends to be 95% unlicensed DOL/Doxy/etc junk but I've had some real bargains in the past.

That's weird - I thought the point of Fopp was that it's dirt cheap, the home of the £5 CD? I guess it's changed under HMV's ownership.

I've not been in one for yonks just because the jazz vinyl tends to be 95% unlicensed DOL/Doxy/etc junk but I've had some real bargains in the past.

It’s just the same as HMV i.e. silly expensive. Shame as they have a great choice of records and it wasn’t like that.

I'm not to sure about that. Our local in Chelmsford stocks CD's, DVD's, Blu-ray, Vinyl, books, T-shirts, Posters, Mugs, some memorabilia stuff & has a section for hardware like headphones, turntables, ear buds etc & probably a few other things I can't bring to mind. This is not the hugest HMV store but with more space & a bit more of everything could easily fill something larger.

I hope you are right. The London store is however a really huge area to fill! They struggled a bit in the peak CD, DVD and physical-media computer-game era when I lived in That London. Records were in huge decline then, so that racking area had shrunk. It often felt a bit empty then, and that was late-90s. Vinyl has recovered to a substantial degree, but the CD market has declined massively with a lot of music not being released on the format, and I assume DVD and Blu-Ray are barely a thing anymore as everyone will just watch Netflix, Prime etc. By saying that the DSOTM anniversary box set is comedically huge so they could fill some space with a load of those!

PS The thing that I remember most about that store was a great classical and jazz CD section. Lots of sales and discounts too.

The one they appear to be talking about is the other one, on the left as you go from Oxford Circus to Marble Arch. Although a smaller footprint it had more floors than the one towards Tottenham Court Road. I`ve heard both referred to as the flagship store. I preferred the Tottenham Court Road end shop, It used to have a separate entrance to the Classical basement area so you didn`t have to mix with the hoi polloi.

That makes sense I guess. Not as nostalgic from my perspective as it was the other big one I used to visit on a loop from Sister Ray, Reckless, Selectadisc, Harold Moore, & Ray’s Jazz Shop.

but the CD market has declined massively with a lot of music not being released on the format, and I assume DVD and Blu-Ray are barely a thing anymore as everyone will just watch Netflix, Prime etc. By saying that the DSOTM anniversary box set is comedically huge so they could fill some space with a load of those!

You would think that & I am sure that very many are happy with streaming (as many of us) but nonetheless HMV still stock all these formats & to this day Blu-ray is still the best way to watch films & any other content that may get released on the medium.

Frankly I'm surprised today that anyone still uses DVD given how cheap a Blu-ray player can be had for. I guess some people just don't move with the times &/or they can't afford the costlier media or just don't care.

I agree with the comments over higher pricing in HMV even online. But I’ve also found some cheaper prices in the current sale as they can’t shift the stock. My local HMV in Maidstone has had some Blue Note Classic titles at £15.99 a few Tone Poets and Acoustic Sounds Jazz reissues at £24.99. Quite a few Rock/Pop/Soundtrack titles originally priced over £35 are now around £20

Watch out for the normal latterday HMV trick of putting the £27.99 price sticker on the reverse of the LP sleeve.

Just because it is £18.99 everywhere else - you really can't assume it will be at HMV.

I agree with the comments over higher pricing in HMV even online. But I’ve also found some cheaper prices in the current sale as they can’t shift the stock. My local HMV in Maidstone has had some Blue Note Classic titles at £15.99 a few Tone Poets and Acoustic Sounds Jazz reissues at £24.99. Quite a few Rock/Pop/Soundtrack titles originally priced over £35 are now around £20

These days their sale is decent, I picked up the vinyl edition of Bobby Gentry - The Girl From Chickasaw County the other day for £18.99 which for a very well pressed double LP is great these days.

Had quite a few more genuine bargains from there recently too. I’m friendly with a couple of members of staff there and they’re very happy that the sale prices are so reasonable these days, apparently in response to feedback from staff and customers.

advertisement

Back