advertisement

Microsoft and UK

garyi

leave blank
What's the feeling on this then?

Furious Microsoft boss says confidence in UK 'severely shaken' - BBC News

I sort of get it, but really it feels like old men that don't know what they are doing. The main problem seems to hinge on MS have 70% of the cloud gaming service (Xbox live). What they failed to have grasped is they have around 5% of the overall gaming market, a marketing absolutely dominated by Sony. Cloud gaming is nearly non existent in the context they have taken it.

Most odd! Also a kick in the nuts for the UK tech economy once again. We literally are heading towards teaching our kids about the world only for them to have the option of Amazon or Costa.

I honestly don't know about this current decision, but the US's slow slide into mergers and mega-corporations and the lack of anti-trust enforcement has cost US consumers greatly, whether it's Ticketmaster, exorbitant internet costs (I pay $100 a month just for high speed internet) or cellphones.
European consumers have vastly lower costs for many basic necessities because authorities take seriously the erosion of competition that occurs with mergers and acquisitions.

We suffer as well, something that costs $30 in the USA costs £30 here regardless of the exchange rate.

We suffer as well, something that costs $30 in the USA costs £30 here regardless of the exchange rate.

Sometimes, but not always, and I think, in general life's necessities are much more expensive in the US.
Grocery shopping for quality foods (I mean food that isn't 50% sugar or palm oil by weight) is generally much more expensive in the US than the UK.
Water bills, council tax, internet, cell phone service, higher education, groceries are all much more expensive in the US.

Sh*t you don't really need, and fast food is sometimes, but not always cheaper in the US. And then there's healthcare .... (can't get it in the UK, can't afford it in the US).

The 'SHOCK! HORROR! SENSATION! (Has the U.K. gone commie overnight?) reaction of every CNBC announcer was reminiscent of the unlamented Tucker Carlson.
(Following the Trump model (God Help Us) he's rumoured to be going into politics. Oh Dear.

I should have been more specific, mostly electronics and software.

Maybe. File most of that under sh*t you don't need. Besides Brits brought much of that on themselves when they voted for Brexit and crashed the pound.

Sour grapes tastic?
Damn - the UK understands and applies anti trust policies?

What exactly are we supposed to think?

And how exactly does the UK being a good or bad place to start a business connect with the takeover of a multi billion pound established one???

M$'s commentator must have his head so far up his own arse his only view of the world comes through his own nostrils IMHO.

BTW I'm at a bit of a loose end at the moment so if anybody could let me know what sort of future multi billion pound business would be a good thing to start somewhere other than the UK I'd be very grateful!

It’s a huge blow for MS as they try to compete against Sony’s dominant PS5. Activision IP includes Call of Duty which MS had wanted to invest into making cross platform to include even the Nintendo Switch. MS has made some savvy (and not so savvy) acquisitions in the past - buying the likes of Mojang (Minecraft) and Nokia (err Windows Phone anyone?)…

Sour grapes tastic?
Damn - the UK understands and applies anti trust policies?

What exactly are we supposed to think?

And how exactly does the UK being a good or bad place to start a business connect with the takeover of a multi billion pound established one???

M$'s commentator must have his head so far up his own arse his only view of the world comes through his own nostrils IMHO.

BTW I'm at a bit of a loose end at the moment so if anybody could let me know what sort of future multi billion pound business would be a good thing to start somewhere other than the UK I'd be very grateful!

Maybe the business market is where they should focus? M365 is ubiquitous but in fairness pricing seems to largely self regulate vs. DIY.

Anyway, love your last challenge. I’d say anything where we act as a middle man. Do nothing much other than connect buyer and seller via an app. But it has to have potential scale and a compelling reason why either buyer or seller markets would adopt quickly before competition could react. Pharmacy was my last idea, it’s on its knees and awaiting death in the current format. Home delivery fulfilled from local stores. Get in before a warehouse type works out how to wipe them out.

Maybe the business market is where they should focus? M365 is ubiquitous but in fairness pricing seems to largely self regulate vs. DIY.

Anyway, love your last challenge. I’d say anything where we act as a middle man. Do nothing much other than connect buyer and seller via an app. But it has to have potential scale and a compelling reason why either buyer or seller markets would adopt quickly before competition could react. Pharmacy was my last idea, it’s on its knees and awaiting death in the current format. Home delivery fulfilled from local stores. Get in before a warehouse type works out how to wipe them out.

Er..... Pharmacy2U? Works effectively around here, since most actual shops are unable to maintain stock. It's probably part of the terrible NWO and we shouldn't be supporting it, but when you need your meds...

Er..... Pharmacy2U? Works effectively around here, since most actual shops are unable to maintain stock. It's probably part of the terrible NWO and we shouldn't be supporting it, but when you need your meds...

Yeah, that’s my point. It was a while back I had the notion. If it was any good now I wouldn’t be posting publicly. No one is going to rescue the locals now. Anyway, it was the generic middle man position I was still pondering as ideal ground. Just can’t see a gaping hole anywhere…

What's the feeling on this then?

Furious Microsoft boss says confidence in UK 'severely shaken' - BBC News

I sort of get it, but really it feels like old men that don't know what they are doing. The main problem seems to hinge on MS have 70% of the cloud gaming service (Xbox live). What they failed to have grasped is they have around 5% of the overall gaming market, a marketing absolutely dominated by Sony. Cloud gaming is nearly non existent in the context they have taken it.

Most odd! Also a kick in the nuts for the UK tech economy once again. We literally are heading towards teaching our kids about the world only for them to have the option of Amazon or Costa.

I think the devil of this must be in the detail as on the face of it you're right, it makes no sense. I keep reading that Microsoft had 16 months to 'put things right' but haven't, but nowhere can I find what those 'things' are, or not in enough detail anyway.

advertisement

Back