advertisement

Which (if any) of your components are ‘end game’

Which (if any) of your components are endgame?

• Speakers

Votes: 167 59.2%
  • Power amp

Votes: 93 33.0%
  • Pre amp

Votes: 83 29.4%
  • Integrated amp

Votes: 55 19.5%
  • Turntable

Votes: 132 46.8%
  • Phono stage

Votes: 68 24.1%
  • Cartridge

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • DAC

Votes: 56 19.9%
  • Streamer

Votes: 43 15.2%
  • CD

Votes: 61 21.6%

• Total voters
Yes. All ‘end game’ except for streamer- don’t have one, or pre and power amp (got an integrated) and will need future cartridges as they wear out.
If room/home changes, then would consider speaker change (obviously)
Glad to be so interesting

Not sure any are end game apart from maybe the power amp (in storage at the moment). House move a couple of years ago and toddler at large meant the speakers had to be changed to suit the room and the system made a bit more family-friendly - more general use and less dedicated listening session-based etc. Still sounds great but will re-focus on it at some point.

Also needed speakers that were less vulnerable to any sprog-based mishaps. I can still remember the near heart-attack when he came suddenly charging in to the old lounge using a long cardboard tube from Christmas wrapping paper as a lance, heading straight towards one of the open drivers in the AN-E speakers at the time. Just stopped short...!

None of them, I don't know if there will be something 'just around the corner' which significantly improves on what I have.
I believe this is a different test to, "Am I prepared to spend any more money on stereo stuff in the future?"

Interesting question. Not really sure.

My Impulse Ta’us speakers are a maybe. I love what they do. The only issue being that I’ve heard the big JBL K2s and also some Rockports. “Maybe” a pair will pop up sometime at a more wallet friendly level.

The power amp is another maybe. I recently replaced a Quad (great amp) with a BAT VK-600SE. It’s a monster SS unit. I wasn’t sure how I’d get on with it, but frankly it’s fabulous. Amazing tonality, low level detail and unbelievable drive. The only fly in the ointment is that it was replaced by the 655, which is supposedly even better.

The only other component is the 861v4. Again sounds great. Supports music streaming and AV, which sells it to the missus and has room correction, which I wouldn’t do without now.
Like the BAT it’s also been superseded, in this case by the 861v8, which are getting close to being affordable now. So one of those is probable.

My Mogami "Gold Studio for Microphones" They are made with "Neglex Quad Microphone Cables" cables and Neutrik ""NC3xXX-B" XLR-Connectors.
Why spend more? Everything else is not better but perhaps more expensive.

I think my "AOS Monitor 70G- Be" are difficult to top. AudioTechnology "Flexunits 10C772510-KAP" TT + ATC "SM75-150" MT + Scan Speak "D 3004/6640" Berillium HT. Active fired by a Hypex "FusionAmp FA253"

Hopefully the Accuphase E-800 as I can't afford anything better. Besides, my hearing is deteriorating, so probably not much point in better! The balance control is useful as my right ear is worse than my left now.

Very happy with my Rega P10, can't see changing that any time so....

What's that you say?, there's something new called Naia coming along later this year?

Um, ..Very happy with my Rega Aura, can't see changing that any time soon.

Very happy with my Rega P10, can't see changing that any time so....

What's that you say?, there's something new called Naia coming along later this year?

Um, ..Very happy with my Rega Aura, can't see changing that any time soon.

Actually, you've got me thinking now - I'd love to hear the Aura. Well, either that or an EAR 834P. I suspect it would get on very well with the Aleph.

That said, the circularity of this can really hit home. I've just put some Naim 523 boards into my 82 (a combination I haven't used for over 20 years), and they sound pretty much on a par with the two outboard stages I currently own. Plus they have eradicated my hum problem once and for all.

When I still played records (antique turn of phrase showing my age there...) I had an EAR 834P and it was to all intents and purposes perfect.

I’m nearing my end game system now, bits that are there as follows,
Gryphon 250 integrated amp
Esoteric k-01 Sacd
Exposure VXN phono stage with matching power supply (getting a second power supply)
NA hyperspace with wave psu and unique audio Sme 312

I have rotated many things - and probably will again - but the speakers are keepers (sonus faber guarneri ). Had them for 10 years now thanks to John at MAX

Hopefully the Accuphase E-800 as I can't afford anything better. Besides, my hearing is deteriorating, so probably not much point in better! The balance control is useful as my right ear is worse than my left now.
That's an awesome amplifier. Do you use any of the onboard modules? If so what is your experience of those?

advertisement

Back