advertisement

Are high end 300B valves worth it ?

anubisgrau said:
a number of classic tubes such as 2A3, VT4C(211) or even 10Y for small powers are simply inferior..

Not inferior just different, they each have strengths and weaknesses. Personally I prefer a 45 or 2a3 over the 300B but the midrange on a 300B is hard to better.

I don't know about 'worth it' but some of the prices are shocking, £2K for a pair of valves? What makes them so expensive? How many hours are they likely to last?
As much as I do generally like valve amplifiers, well any that I've heard, I now feel that the price of replacement valves has made buying a valve poweamp prohibitive.

same design, materials and hours in the making.

Not that simple, although a significant contributing reason for the high prices is probably to do with volumes. If the whole process was mechanised, you'd be taking a lot of labour out, but automation would be a totally massive investment and you'd need pretty slick setters/engineers looking after the line.

When I worked at GE Lighting in Leicester, some of the lamps that were made were easily as complicated to make as any valve, but they were "rattled through" in numbers. That said, many of those lamps trade prices were not dissimilar to the retail prices on HiFi Collective.

Not high end, but a quick comparison of a £370 pair of Genalex against a £140 pair of Psvane shows no difference I can hear !

And I also heard the Psvane in a system at Definitive this morning that probably cost the same as a small house !

advertisement

Back